1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding the Drivers on the hardrive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Beffan, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

I'm switching out hard drives in my Compaq 5451, unfortuanatly I do not have the original software for the computer. I'm going to need the drivers to put on the new hard drive. How can I best accomplish this? I figure to put these drivers on a floppy or cd (it has a burner). Where are the drivers located on a drive. What file extensions do they have and what's the easiest way to transfer them all?

Thanks

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

Why don't you just add the second hard drive and connect it so you have a C: and a D: and then copy and paste all on C: to D:.

After that remove C: and let D: become C:.

You won't need to look for drivers or installing them unless you want to do a clean install.

In that case you can go to the manufracturer site and download the drivers or go to the following sight and download them. Transfer them to a cd and then when asked for them direct the computer to the cd.

http://www.windrivers.com/company.htm

3. pthres

pthres

If I were doing it I would create a ghost image put it to disk, diasable the current c: then enable the new drive and put the ghost image onto it, done it quite a few times and it's always fairly easy..........

4. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

What's this about a ghost image? I don't beleive I have heard of this before (or if I have, knowing me, I've forgotten :p )

5. angel

angel

Using a utility such as Norton Ghost you can make a ghost image - an identical copy of the entire drive compressed into one file. You can also use it to copy the image of an entire partition or drive onto another.

6. Beffan

Beffan Thread Starter

Woah, neat!

Only goes to show you that you learn something new every day.....and I thought I knew everything when I was 14! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!