1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finding the scanner without the start menu

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by piersshepherd, Sep 12, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. piersshepherd

piersshepherd Thread Starter

I really need help here. I want to access the scanner on my computer but can longer access the start menu or the cortana search. I have Windows 10. Does anyone know how I can find and use the scanner without having to go to the start menu? I would really appreciate any advice that can solve this problem.

2. Sponsor

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Are you not perhaps concerned about the wrong problem..? If you cannot access the Start Menu or Cortana Search then that might indicate something fundamentally wrong with W10.

Suggest that you first fix the W10 problem and then you should no longer have an issue with the Scanner.

If you describe the Start Menu and Cortana Search issue in more detail then someone on the Forum will assist.

T.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet Ramon

If you installed the printer driver, then you should have it listed in the all programs list (should be by alphabetical order). Look for the brand of your printer.

5. piersshepherd

piersshepherd Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses.

I have tried to solve the problem of the start menu and cortana search but the experts who tried to solve the problem said they could not solve it. In order to shut down the computer I have to use ctrl alt delete.

Is there no way I can access the scanner without the start menu?

6. texasbullet

texasbullet Ramon

Very strange that you don't have a start menu.
    You may want to try classic shell.
    http://www.classicshell.net/
    If this does not work I suggest to try post #2

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

IF Windows 10 still has Devices and Printers in Control Panel and IF your printer/scanner is in there try right click and "Start Scan."

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

I assume that these "experts" did the first and very basic attempt to repair by asking you to run the Windows 10 System File Checker..? If they did not ask you to do that then they are not "experts". And... if you have not done that as yet, that would be a really good place to start.

If you don't know a lot about computers, then one thing you need to understand fully is that Windows considers everything to be a "file" - including of course the Start Menu and Cortana. If these files are corrupt then you need to fix them and that is the purpose of the file checker utility.

T.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196217