Finding the Total of Items Seperately-Access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jason Ess

Hello!

I am using the latest version of Microsoft Access. I have different two different categories, Home and Utilities. Now, I insert values for any payments I make, and will use the drop down box to mark it as Home or Utility. I can add up the SumofAmounts of both the Home and Utilities together, but how does one find the sum of each separately?

For example, I could see just the total of the Utilities, and then just see the total of the Home payments.

Sorry, I am really new to Access. Any help would be appreciated!

Jason Ess

Im not sure I fully understand. I am one of those people that needs explanation! Sorry for the hassle :/

Here is a pic for help.

As you can see, in the far left column, I have to sets of text, Home and Utility. How would I find the total of each of those separately?

Step by step haha :)

Thank you for your patience!

OBP

Unfortunately I do not have Access 2007 to give you a step by step guide.
But click the Set Square in the top left corner to get the design mode or Design on the Main menu.
Click on the Summation Symbol (it has Totals written underneath it).
Now in the new row slect "Group By" for those items you want to group and Sum for those you want to total.
If you have too many items Grouped you will not get the desired result.

Jason Ess

Still cant seem to get it.

Do you know how to do it on 2002. That version?

OBP

It is basically the same - Query in design View, Main Menu>View>Totals
In the Totals Row select Group By for those fields you want Grouped and Sum for those to be totalled.

Jason Ess

Sure, I tried grouping them, still cant seem to get it though.

Hope .rar is okay?

Attachments

Jason Ess

I just want to see the total of Home. And then the total of Utility. But not Home and Utility together.

I feel like I am missing something here.

I group by, but then when i run it, I still see just the totals together.

OBP

OK, first of all if you want the overall total you should not have the "Expense Sub Cagtegory" column in the query. That will then give you 2 rows, one for Home & one for Utilities.
If you only want to see one of them you have to tell the query which one to display

Jason Ess

Wow thats great!

How did you add the separate queries?

Thank you SO much!

OBP

I added them manually, you need to learn about queries as they power Access.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online