Finding your Product ID Key

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EuphoriK

Well, I want to go to the registry to find my 25 digit CD Key for windows. I understand there are programs for it, and I have used them. Im just wondering if anyone knows where it is in the registry... and yes I do understand it will be encoded, probably in hexadecimal.

EuphoriK

Those are only programs... I dont want programs, I want the registry directory for it. If it is on there please point out where, I'm clueless.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The problem is ... the license HP installs under ...
Is not the same as the sticker that should be on the side of your Case.

Do you have .. or have made ... your recovery CD/DVDs ??

DoubleHelix said:
It's not in the registry anywhere.
im pretty sure it is in the registry not sure where though

i could be wrong as i often am

DoubleHelix

Banned
Clarification:
It's stored in the registry but not in a format that can be read or changed by a user directly.

EuphoriK

It has to be in the registry - It's in hexidecimal... The programs used to find the CD Key go into the registry, find the Product Key and convert it to Letters that form the key, hmm, if no one knows I guess Ill goa-diggin' and see what I find. Ill update if I find anything. GOLD!

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The product key (wherever it is) ... Isn't the one you need.
What are you trying to do ???

EuphoriK

lol, I do "want" the product key info because Im gonna learn programming and it seems like a pretty easy one to make.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since many utilities already exist to extract the CD-Key, why not do something original?

DoubleHelix

Banned
The purpose of this thread is to help you learn programming? There's a separate forum for that called "Development". :rolleyes:

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
EuphoriK said:
lol, I do "want" the product key info because Im gonna learn programming and it seems like a pretty easy one to make.

I agree with John.

I think you will find that it is not just an exercise of reading a registry value and converting it from Hex to alphanumeric. There is going to be some type of encryption involved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts