1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

findwhatever.com (Fake MSN Search Page)

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dotINFO, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotINFO

dotINFO Thread Starter

PROBLEM:
    Whenever trying to go a "common" web site like MSN, Hotmail, Google, or Yahoo, I get a fake MSN Search Page that (1) tells me the web site doesn't exist and (2), based upon the url the links on the search really point to, that it's really a search page for FindWhateverNow.com (search.findwhatevernow.com).​

FAILED FIXES:
    HijackThis -- Reports show up "clean." I've even checked mine, and nothing comes up regarding findwhatever.​
    Ad-aware (and other spyware removal apps) -- No spyware/malware/browser-hijack/etc found. This is probably because the problem is (at least as far as I know) new and the definition files do not contain this information yet.​

I have searched for a fix to this problem, and apparently it's either really difficult to crack or it's still fairly new. All the other forums and web sites that I have visited pretty much suggest the same things in an attempt to fix the problem. Unfortunately, none of them work.

If anyone is aware/familiar with this and can help, please post some information. In doing my search (on a different, "uninfected" computer of course), I find that there are others who are having difficulty in fixing this.

2. mimo2005

mimo2005

delete all temp files , i am sure you ran adware and spybot ,
    try tds3 .
    post hijack log here,maybe someone can help you

3. dotINFO

dotINFO Thread Starter

Apparently it was a hijack on the DNS Server settings. Just go into your TCP/IP settings and change you DNS settings to your original/default settings. If you see an IP starting with (I forgot to write down the whole IP address, sorry) 64.157...., remove that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice