1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finicky Connection, any help or thoughts?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BRadGesus, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BRadGesus

BRadGesus Thread Starter

Hey there guys/gals, I have a problem that has been happening on and off over the last year. Randomly my internet connection has been dropping. Sometimes it wont drop for 2 months, and then comes back with a vengeance where it drops 3 times a day for the next 2 weeks. When it does go out, all the lights that should be lit up on the modem and router are lit. And my computer says that I am connected to the internet, yet i can't connect to the internet with anything (PC, Xbox, Ipod). My PC and Xbox 360 are both on wired connections, Ipod is obviously wireless. Very unpredictable, and annoying. My ISP is Comcast.

Modem: Linksys Cable Modem with USB and Ethernet, Model # BEFCMU10
    Router: D-Link 802.11g/2.4ghz Wireless Router (with wired connections as well) Model # DI-524 (not sure if that is the model number but it says it on the front)

Computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could you be more specific? You can ping a web site yet you cannot ping a web site? In other words, what do you mean by "connected" and by "can't connect"?

3. BRadGesus

BRadGesus Thread Starter

In my computers task bar, it shows up that i have Internet Access when this happens, but i cant connect to websites, games, Xbox Live etc

4. BRadGesus

BRadGesus Thread Starter

Sorry i left something out, all i have to do to fix it is unplug the router for 30 seconds and plug it back in. So is it that a i need a new router?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The DI-524 is a typical low cost router or a piece of junk, depending on the hardware revision. Revision A is OK; I think it's revision B that's bad, but it's been so long since we've discussed them that I can't remember for sure.

If power cycling the router revives it then probably (but that's only probably because I still don't understand exactly what's happening) the router is nearing the end of its life. Reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Sometimes that coaxes a router into behaving.

6. BRadGesus

BRadGesus Thread Starter

Okay, that is what i figured, it was a hand-me-down router from my brother anyways, thank you for the help. I got the cash so im going to just buy a decent one. Do you have a one that you like, since you know your stuff?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A lot of people like the D-Link DIR-615. I do also, but have had bad luck with two of them. Probably any 802.11n D-Link, Linksys, Netgear or other brand router will be fine.

8. BRadGesus

BRadGesus Thread Starter

okay thanks so much

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice