Finicky DVD burns

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lboocker

I've been having trouble burning video files to DVDs and playing them on my TV. My latest batch, the first file played fine, the second file was a little jerky and the third file hung part way thru. I've had other disks that weren't recognized or took 20 minutes to load. I'm hoping for specific tips to solve my problems. Here are the details:

Operating System: XP-SP2
CPU: 2.0 GHz Celeron
RAM: 480 MB
DVD burner: Lite On SHOW-1693S06C
16X DVD+-R/+-RW; DVD+-R DL
DVD player: Toshiba SD-3969SU
Disks: Office Depot 4X DVD+RW; Office Depot 4X DVD-R
Video Files: Mpeg format
Software: Nero 6 using Nerovision 3

Specific questions:
1) Am I better off burning to +RW, +R, -R or some other format for best compatibility with a DVD player? I seemed to get better results with +RW than –R for a while but now the +RWs are failing consistently. People advise different things.

2) Would it help to go slower than the max rate? I haven't tried dropping to 2X.

3) I try to minimize activity on the computer while burning. I turn off email and don't multitask. I've tried doing a reboot right before burning to get the cleanest system. Is this sufficient?

4) Lite-on recommends certain manufacturers of disks. Does this make a difference?

5) I never try to fill the disk, in fact, I try to keep it under 4 GB. Is this a useful precaution?

6) The Toshiba is a bit finicky even with commercial DVDs. I often need to clean them if they have the slightest speck or smudge. Would it be helpful to get something to clean the lens? If so, can you recommend one?

I'm pretty sure this thread will be closed. All I can say is brand name does make a difference and DVD-R is compatible with more players then other types of DVD R's.

Can't really see whats not legal about this topic.Never did he mention copying commercial dvd.Just that his dvd player has trouble reading commercial dvd.The 1693 is a good burner,stick with good quality media.(sony ,fuji,verbatim, Taiyo Yuden etc) Burn at the speed the media is rated for.Don't be concerned about going over 4gig...I would update your firmware http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English...vd rw.asp?Flag=1&Item=DR8US0N&Model=SHOW-812S
..and also look at getting the liteon Bitsetting Utility (under the utility tab in the link)...I would use dvd+ media and use the utility to set to dvd-rom... for the best playability...

lboocker

Thank you for the serious reply. I've gone to the Liteon site to get newer firmware but the site is defective and doesn't allow downloads of the firmware files. I was able to get the Smartburn utility which tells me that the Office Depot disks I've been using are made by Ritek which is on Liteon's approved list. I also got the Booktype utility and will try switching the booktype to DVD-ROM on my next burn.

I also noticed in the Liteon manual that they recommend having 1.2-2 times the data size available in free hard drive space. I'm kinda marginal on that so I want to do a little cleaning before my next burn. I also want to turn off any power saving during the burn.

I'll let you know if these changes work. But I'm also hoping to get some advice on the issue of a DVD lens cleaner. Again, thanks for your help.

There's no updated firmware available for that drive at the moment.

There's six important aspects to successful DVD burning:

1. Drive model. Pioneer is my favorite, but others prefer Nec, Lite-on is close to the top, but not at the top. Some brands give high levels of errors on any media, unfortunately most reviewers only review based on burn speeds instead of quality of the burn.

2. Brand of media. As mentioned before, the brand media makes a huge difference and is just as important as the burner used. I used to use only Ritek Ridata, Taiko Yuden, and Fuji, but I've found lately that I've had better results with Verbatim. Anyway, don't grab a no-name brand and expect to get good quality burns, it just doesn't work.

3. Brand of media.

4. Brand of media. (it's that important.) By the way, the Officemax brand of DVDR's is made by Fuji.

5. Burn speed. You almost always get a better quality burn by burning slower than the max speed, but what speed to burn at for the best burn differs with the media and the burner used. I have the least PI/PO errors on my Pioneer 110D burner with Verbatim media burned at 6X speed.

6. Software. The burning program used, the encoding software, the quality of the video.

The Ritek DVD's your using may also be part of the problem. Ritek is known for quality media, but lately their quality has been slipping, and many people are not getting the same results with Ritek as they did in the past.

lboocker

1. Drive model. Pioneer is my favorite, but others prefer Nec, Lite-on is close to the top, but not at the top. Some brands give high levels of errors on any media, unfortunately most reviewers only review based on burn speeds instead of quality of the burn.

Can't do anything about it now.

2. Brand of media. As mentioned before, the brand media makes a huge difference and is just as important as the burner used. I used to use only Ritek Ridata, Taiko Yuden, and Fuji, but I've found lately that I've had better results with Verbatim. Anyway, don't grab a no-name brand and expect to get good quality burns, it just doesn't work.

Okay, I bought some Fuji disks because they are a quality brand and also on the Lite0n approved list.

5. Burn speed. You almost always get a better quality burn by burning slower than the max speed, but what speed to burn at for the best burn differs with the media and the burner used. I have the least PI/PO errors on my Pioneer 110D burner with Verbatim media burned at 6X speed.

I've been burning at half the max speed.

6. Software. The burning program used, the encoding software, the quality of the video.

I'm using Nero 6 and I'm not impressed. It isn't easy getting it to do what I want and seems generally buggy. I'm open to suggestions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts