1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finicky eMachines W3506—Boot problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ron the Geek, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ron the Geek

Ron the Geek Thread Starter

I'm working on the machine mentioned above and although it will "turn on" every time I press the power button, it sometimes halts after the eMachines splash screen and justs sits there... a black, motionless, nothing... Anyway,... other times, it will go on to launch Windows and perform normally. This indecisiveness is a personality trait that I've got to get rid of. This machine is running XPHE SP2, has 512 RAM, and a Celeron 3.2. Is this a hardware problem or does this ring a software bell for someone? I really have no idea where to begin with this type of problem. As always, thanks!
    RTG :confused:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When you first turn the computer on if you hit F8 will it let you get into Safe mode on a regular basis? Or will it sometimes do the same thing?

3. Ron the Geek

Haven't tried that since—until now—I didn't have a real reason to go into safe mode. I'll try that and see what happens. But, in the last six tries over an hour or so, it has come up every time. If it does come up in safe mode consistently, what would they that tell me?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    well if it never gives you a problem when booting into safe mode it would tell you it is probably a software problem. But if the same problem exists in Safe mode as in Normal boot it would point more toward a hardware problem.

Is there a time that this problem seems more likely to occur? Such as when the computer has been sitting and cooling down over night? Or when the computer has been in use for a while and is warmed up?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it painfully slow to boot (spending a lot of time in BIOS scan) even when it does boot successfully? Any changes to drives lately?

6. Ron the Geek

Dusty—No, there never seems to be any particular time when it would do it, although overheating was a thought (Dell Inspiron notebook flashbacks...).
    El—It's not slow to boot up and it would appear that no changes have been recently made to the drive structure.

I opened it up to check the fans and it did need a good blowing out. But, the last several times I've shut it down and brought it back up or restarted it (both using the power button and Windows "turn off computer") it's started fine. One thing, though, that I'm pretty sure is unrelated but still annoying: Whenever I open My Computer, click on Search, and then select "All Files and Folders," it starts to run Windows installer. What is that? It usually terminates immediately but I can't figure what it is.

SuperAntiSpyware found nothing, CCleaner cleaned up some common crap... So now, I think I'll run a HiJackThis log and ask a moderator to move this to Security or Windows XP whichever is more appropriate. Here's the HJT log:
    Scan saved at 10:32:17 AM, on 2/17/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\2007216175437_mcinfo.exe
    C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.gateway.com/g/sidepanel.html?Ch=Retail&Br=EM&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=DTP&M=W3506
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch=Retail&Br=EM&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=DTP&M=W3506
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch=Retail&Br=EM&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=DTP&M=W3506
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.gateway.com/g/sidepanel.html?Ch=Retail&Br=EM&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=DTP&M=W3506
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\windows\system32\BAE.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] %WINDIR%\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msci] C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\2007216175437_mcinfo.exe /insfin
    O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS

7. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

My guess would be it's coming from the temp folder: C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\2007216175437_mcinfo.exe /insfin

Reboot to safe mode and empty that folder.

8. Ron the Geek

Thank you. I'll try that. I apologize for the delayed response; I've been away from internet access. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks, again. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice