1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finicky pen drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peacock, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

I have a Sony Microvault, 128MB, USB2. It works fine at home plugged into my USB1.X port and worked fine on my office machine until we upgraded from Win98 to XP. When I plug the pen drive into either one of the two USB ports on the front of my office computer, it locks up. I can't move the mouse, can't ctrl-alt-delete my way out of it, etc. This is the case even if no other USB devices are plugged in (I thought it was a power issue) anywhere on the machine. However, when I plug the pen drive into the USB port on the BACK of my office computer, it works fine.

Obviously this isn't a big deal, since I'm able to get to the data on my drive... but has anyone else dealt with this? Any thoughts on what could be so special about the USB ports on the front of my machine?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Any exclamation marks in device manager on the USB stuff?

3. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

I could never get to the device manager - when the pen drive made contact with the USB port, everything would freeze, and I'd have to hit the restart button (ctrl-alt-del didn't even work).

I tried starting the computer with the pen drive already in, but I'd get the type of error message you get when you leave a floppy in a drive; remove the disk and hit any key to start.

It's just a curious thing. I tried the pen drive on other machines in the building and it's not just my problem, I get it with all of them. It only works in the back.

L

4. ~Candy~

I'm wondering if the front USB is even installed.

Can you check the device manager WITHOUT the pen plugged into the front.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like the front USB ports may be plugged in incorrectly on the MB, I'd check to see if they're actually working.

6. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

they do work. :) I had a hub plugged into one of the ports, and I used the hub for my scanner and my digital camera card reader (both of which I've used without incident). I thought I was asking too much, having so much USB plugged in, but even with everything else unplugged the issue still presents itself. And I still have the problem if I plug the hub into the front USB and plug the pen drive into the hub.

L

7. ~Candy~

However, the hub setup isn't working either since you upgraded to XP, is that correct?

8. Peacock

Peacock Thread Starter

No, the hub is fine. I have a scanner hooked up to the hub which is working well.

This is just so curious - I think I'll give the group that built our machines a call and ask about it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice