1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Finishing up what I start with the driver install process.

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by tintex, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tintex

tintex Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jermie
    Two missing wifi drivers was iwlifi -6000g2a-6.ucode and 6000g2a-5.ucode. So after reading the previous post I iwlifi-6000g2a with some variation to load. My question is do you have a nice little neat page that tells the install process like they tell how to get the drivers...

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi Jermie, please tell us what version of Linux you're using and what wireless card you have.

3. tintex

tintex Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jermie
    Well, I am using Debian Version 8. Not quit sure on the cards (but I will look into it). I am using an Hp probook 6560b But I ordered a separate wifi device (Wi-Fi Nano 11ac adapter). The drivers didn't work properly that came with it, couldn't load them that easy. But after installing the wifi drivers from the intel site that your posts guided me to towards everything came right up. Now its banging! And in good selling condition (not for sale). Have a good one!

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you got it working. Linux isn't easy to use at first !

If/when you're sure it's working properly please click on the [Mark solved] link at the top of your page

5. tintex

tintex Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jermie
    Yeah, I am coming along way with it from redhat days.

6. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Never yet heard of a piece of hardware that comes with Linux drivers. Those on the disc will be Windoze drivers; if your kernel supports your hardware, you'll know it soon enough.

Some Linux drivers will need 'installing', but this is often via your package manager or a distro-specific work-around. I'm very surprised that Alan directing you to Intel's site achieved anything at all, 'cos Linux software package management simply doesn't work that way.

How 'new' is this wireless adapter, anyway? (I'm not talking about 'new' as in "new to you 'cos you've just bought it", I'm curious as to when it came to market...)

Brand, spanking-new hardware is a bit of a no-no where Linux is concerned, but I guess you know that. New stuff needs anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to make it into the kernel, 'cos it all has to be reverse-engineered. Linux developers don't have the same cozy relationship with manufacturers that Windoze devs have.....

Mike. ;)

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I didn't direct tintex to Intel's site ! I think some previous posts, possibly by me, did.

8. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    Ah. No worries, Allan; I DID wonder quite where tintex's reference was coming from..!

Mike. ;)

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm wondering myself now Mike. We may never know. ;)

10. tintex

tintex Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jermie
    For the record the post that I went off of lead me to intel drivers not really the intel website. Due to the fact that the intel website wanted cash exchange. The device I got from Amazon but its drivers was more for Bantu Linux. So load the latest drivers and it came right up. Well I saved the drivers to a mini drive so I will not encounter this problem again...Thanks for all the help.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Genuine websites do not charge for drivers.

Sadly many are fake and just download a 'driver update' program whatever link you click on, they are useless and some ask for money.

Anyhow I'm glad you got it working. :)

12. tintex

tintex Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jermie

The date the device was first available was October 2, 2018.

13. tintex

tintex Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jermie
    Well, on loading the Debian in the logs and during boot it states that there are missing firmware files. Going on intel website looking for them, you can find them but not receive without a cash exchange. And yes we may never know the link the mike gave me because it looks like it was removed I went back looking in order to satisfy your curiosity but could not locate it! I will continue looking...

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think I know what happened. Linux drivers and/or firmware is often called 'non-free' because it is not open source, meaning it is copyright, in this case by Intel. So here 'non-free' does not mean you have to pay for it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!