1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Finnacky Windows

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by James Crosso, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

Hello,

Wheever I restart my computer, the computer has troubles starting up.

If there is a DVD in the drive, the Windows Startup screen stays for a very very long time, and the DVD spins and makes noises like it is trying to be read but struggling.

I usually have to pop open the DVD drive before Windows goes to the logon screen.

I HAVE NOT changed the boot options for this system and DVD drive is not one of them.

The DVD in is a genuine DVD movie, not anything with bootup files or any system information.

Furthermore, upon logging into Windows, my settings for StyleXP are always reset, EVERYTIME I restart the computer despite the numerous settings in the StyleXP program that state otherwise.

My Windows XP installation is in it's third year, but I don't have the time to reformat just because it would be fresh. Is there something I can do to A) Try and fix the DVD bootup issue, and B) Clean up my Windows files.

I do have RegCleaner and Ad-aware and some of those apps that I use on a regular basis.

James

2. slim30097

slim30097

DVD drive

Suggest removing DVD from drive when not in use. It is not a good idea to leave removable media in your computer. Some AV programs check for media not removed prior to reboot or shutdown as a safeguard against boot viruses.

Slow startup/Style XP

Take a look at the reviews of Style XP on download.com. Several complaints of spyware, adware, trojans, even a keylogger. Looks like lots of OT work ahead. Do you have an AV installed? I would think any quality AV would have gone berserk as soon as this software began installation. If not, download Avast Home or AVG free - do not install before removing Style XP. Also, turn off system restore & reboot to delete your restore points - check to make sure all restore points have been deleted. Trojans will install themselves in system restore & keep reinstalling themselves after deletion. Create a manual restore point when reasonably certain that all #@%$!?!-ware has been quarantined or removed.

1) After removing the DVD movie, uninstall Style XP. Download Spybot & Microsoft AntiSpyware, update & run scans. Quarantine or remove anything detected. Update your Ad-aware, scan, etc. Check the system explorer section of MS AS for BHO's etc. & use the Browser Hijack section to reset your IE settings.
    2) Download a trial version of Webroot Spy Sweeper, update, scan, etc.
    3) Download a trial version of either TDS3 or Trojan Hunter. TDS3 is the superior app but difficult to utilize for some users. In fact, I would advise downloading both. Update, run scans & quarantine or remove.
    4) Go to housecall.trendmicro.com & utilize their online scanner.
    5) Download Anti-Keylogger trial version & run.
    6) Download HijackThis, run & post results to appropriate forum.

After all the bleepware is removed (hopefully), go to Pac-Man's web site @
    pacs-portal.co.uk & compare your startup programs to the advice given. Disable any startups that are not absolutely required - a startup manager makes this process easier (Codestuff Starter is pretty good & easy to use).

You might want to clean your registry also. In the future, you might want to google any software under consideration & see what your fellow users have to say. The reviews at download.com are for an earlier version of Style XP but probably relevant to the newer version. This is probably causing the slow bootup of Windows - trojans, et al have a tendency to configure themselves as startups. A startup manager or accessing msconfig would probably reveal some (not all) of the scumware - if curious, check before running your scans.

This should get you going - any oversight on my part will almost certainly be rectified by another fourm member. I like changing the appearance of my desktop also, but this seems like an awfully high price to pay. You might take a look at stardock.com - haven't heard anything bad about their products but check it our anyway.

Good luck - please post your results.

Slim

3. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

This is an awesome post. You don't know how incredibly thankful I am to you for taking the time to post such a complete and well thought out response.

Thank you so much for your help. I will get started with these steps immediately,

James

4. slim30097

slim30097

You're welcome.

Posting a HiJackThis log can be somewhat involved. There is an excellent sticky on spyware, etc. removal & HiJackThis (installation, config, log posting) on the Major Geeks forum/Spyware Specific (sorry - could not locate similar on this forum). Also, be sure to provide basic info needed, especially OS. The sticky also contains several useful links. Review some of the HJT posts on this forum to learn how the process works.

Let us know how things are going - will keep an eye on this thread.

Good Luck,

Slim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice