Fire Wall Question? Do I Really Need 3 Fire Walls Running At The Same Time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

forbes

:confused: Hello Everyone....

Ok I just come to realize that my 2 wire modem (att yahoo internet) has a built in fire wall. Then i have Mcafee total protection on my computer and that has a firewall, then theres the windows standard fire wall. So Do I keep All 3 On. What do i turn off, whats better, whats not. and Microsoft yells at me if i turn the windows fire wall off....

thanks for all your help
ian:D

I am not familiar with your specific modem, but as it is external to your computer it will not adversely affect the system. It is likely a firmware or hardware firewall. This is a good thing, and provides an additional layer of protection. Usually a third party firewall turns off the native Windows firewall by default. Zone Alarm, for example. I am suprised that McAffee does not. It is not necessary to have both on, and since McAfee is 2-way (Program alerts) I suggest that you use it. Windows can be told to stop "bothering" you about the firewall situation. Security Center is found in the Control Panel. Once open, notice the words "Change the way Security Center alerts me" on the left. After clicking there, a dialog will open in which you can arrange the alerts to your preferences.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
You definitely should not have two software firewalls active simultaneously. Turn off the MS installed one.
{redoak}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online