1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fire Wall

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Shelby CSX-T, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelby CSX-T

Shelby CSX-T Thread Starter

What exactly is a fire wall? Is it something that the computer already has or do you have to buy one or can you just download one. If you can download it which ones are the best and where should I go for it.

Thanks

2. BillC

BillC

If you are running XP as your OS, then it does have a firewall, but it only works one way. It is my opinion that you need both a good firewall and an antivirus program if you are connected to the internet. These will help protect you against viruses and trojans. But the best thing you can do is don't open executable attachments in e-mail and don't file share.

You can get Zone Alarm free here

You can get AVG antivirus free here

That's my view. ;)

3. winchester73

winchester73

How Stuff Works has a good piece on firewalls: http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

This is a bit long, but worth the read: http://www.interhack.net/pubs/fwfaq/

I personally like the free Sygate firewall, but it can be a little tricky to set-up ... I have it on two of my boxes, but I bought a ZoneAlarm Plus for a third one.

From a post by herbalist:

"A good firewall is a necessity to provide control over internet access by all the applications that request it, not only to limit what is coming in, but what data you want leaving. You can kinda look at it this way. A firewall that permits a given application to communicate with only certain sites is roughly the equivalent to the difference between a private phone line and a CB radio. One accepts anything from anyone, complete with interference, and the other is very controlled, and much more secure. When properly configured, your apps will function correctly, and possibly better, as the opportunity for outside interference is greatly reduced. And if your firewall does check the signature of the programs requesting internet access, like Kerio does, trojans pretending to be something else won't be given access. Neither will apps that are updated without your knowlege. That way, even if you do get some trojan, say thru E-mail, it won't be able to connect out.
    Once a firewall is set up for the apps you use, you can enjoy the internet the way it should be, as long as you use common sense about what you do, and especially what you say "yes" to.
    Admittedly, the age of innocence is gone, and will probably never be again. But the potential of what is available and do-able is far more than it was then too. Get a good firewall that controls traffic in BOTH directions. Take the time to set it up right, then start enjoying the internet again. Security doesn't have to make it any less enjoyable. It's actually a very good feeling to know that you can browse where you choose, and are a much tougher target to locate (stealth) and crack than 90+% of those out there who don't take computer security seriously, and that most "pests" will look for easier prey. "

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice