Fired HD anything i can do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SSFF7826

My HD is cooked, toast fried etc....its clicks wont read etc......ive tried a few things....i heard about something best buy sells that can hook right into the HD itself and take the data off it.....anyone ever hear of anything like that or any other ideas i can do to try to salvage anything.....thanks

SSFF7826

My HD is cooked, toast fried etc....its clicks wont read etc......ive tried a few things....i heard about something best buy sells that can hook right into the HD itself and take the data off it.....anyone ever hear of anything like that or any other ideas i can do to try to salvage anything.....thanks

crjdriver

I merged this with your other threads. DO NOT make multiple threads for the same issue.

SSFF7826

sorry that was by accident.....wireless at the fire station stinks....didnt know it went through the first time....kept saying it timed out.....sorry about that

crjdriver

To answer your question, you will need to take the drive to a data recovery shop. Have them give you an estimate as to the cost. It varies by both the amount of work and the area you are located. Where I live, data recovery starts @$125 for a simple software recovery and goes up from there. To disassemble the drive and read the platters, generally costs $400 and up.

Now you see why we stress backups so much. With an image backup of the drive, you simply install a new drive and restore the image. Done in less than 30min. With the price of hard drives so cheap, there is no excuse for the lack of a backup.

SSFF7826

so very true.......thanks for the heads up, just one more question....whats the best way to back up a HD when you say creating an image of the HD......im learning here very slowly

crjdriver

There is a guide at the top of the hardware forum that goes into detail however I use and recommend either acronis true image or macrium reflect to make the image file. Store this on a second hard drive, an external drive, a NAS, a shared network drive, etc, etc.

FWIW if you want to just make an image, macrium has a free version available that works very well. For more detailed work, ie cloning drives, etc, then go with acronis.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online