1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox 1.5.0.6 bugs (plural)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gophersnake, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gophersnake

gophersnake Thread Starter

I came here to look for discussions of the Firefox 1.5.0.5 - 1.5.0.6 "can't-find-video-plugin" bug. I was surprised to find Yonce's thread instead: Firefox 1.5.0.6 update killed my surfing.

I'd downloaded Firefox 1.5.0.5 on 7/27/06, as soon as it was announced, so I was surprised to see a dialog pop up on 8/2/06 offering to update to 1.5.0.6 already. I did accept the update and my Firefox now says it is 1.5.0.6.

I watch YouTube videos occasionally but I seldom seem to need Windows Media Player so I don't even remember when I last used it successfully. It may have been a month or two. Yesterday I did try to download a WMP clip but Firefox told me it couldn't find the necessary plugin. Today someone linked me to this article:
    The second of their two comments says:
    I seem to be having the same problem. Anyone else?

I'm guessing that Firefox introduced the bug with 1.5.0.5, then fixed it (with 1.5.0.6 releases) for some versions of Windows but not yet for others. I'm using 98 SE.

2. llsee

llsee

First Name:
    Larry
    For the latest information and best support for Firefox and Thunderbird, try going to Mozillazine. http://www.mozillazine.org/ The forums section has plenty of information on current Firefox issues. I have FF 1.5.0.6 and I do not have a problem using the WMP plugin.

3. Augie65

Augie65

I have Firefox version 1.5.0.6 and all players are working for me. I had to update Quicktime Alternative because a lot of sites require Quicktime 7 for their embedded players.
    Check the Windows Media Player plugin installation.
    In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar and check these WMP listings.
    You can test the Windows Media Player plugin there too.

4. gophersnake

I've peeked in there a few times, even earlier today, but I've always had trouble finding where whatever topic I'm looking for is being addressed. I haven't figured out yet how the site is organized and most of the time I'm not sure what term(s) they use to describe a particular issue that I'm probably calling by some entirely different name.

I'm trying not to spend even more time researching Mozilla than I already do using it.

5. llsee

llsee

First Name:
    Larry
    Hmmmm... Kind of like TSG!;)

6. gophersnake

You mean about: plugins, don't you? I didn't even know it existed until the "WMP Listings" page referred to it.

about: plugins says I have npdrmv2.dll and npwmsdrm.dll but not npdsplay.dll. The MozillaZine Step-By-Step Guide says:
    I find the two files that I'm not missing in the C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player directory but not in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins. I don't find the npdsplay.dll file anywhere on my hard drive. These discrepancies say to me that the MozillaZine instructions and I aren't on the same page and I shouldn't go any farther until I account for the differences I've noticed so far.

7. gophersnake

Update:
    I did download npdsplay.dll from dlldump.com and copy it to c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins along with the npdrmv2.dll and npwmsdrm.dll files from Windows Media PLayer.

Now about: plugins agrees that I have what's needed. When I go to the site where I want to play the video, I no longer get the "missing plugin" message. It looks like I'm all set.

However:

When I click on the video I want to play, it tries to start but the preview image almost immediately turns into a black square centered in the video screen. When I click the option to open the video in a separate window, the big WMP window appears. Almost immediately I get a dialog saying, "Class not registered".

Now what?

I did Google up this article...
    How to fix "Class not registered" or 80040154 error
    ... but how do I tell if it has anything to do with my situation?

8. Augie65

Augie65

gophersnake,
    You are correct, I was in a hurry and enter both config and plugins so often that I just typed the wrong one. Sorry.
    Yes, go ahead and register the dll.
    It will either help or not, but it won't hurt.

9. gophersnake

I did register quartz.dll as the article suggests but it makes no difference in how the video acts or in the error message I get. I even rebooted to see if that would make any difference; it didn't.

Both before and after registering, I found quite a few instances of "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\quartz.dll" mentioned in registry keys. Of course I have no idea what those keys are for. I didn't bother counting my hits, either before or after.

10. Augie65

Augie65

Can you use WMP in IE or will it not work in either?

11. gophersnake

I just tried WMP in IE. It misbehaves differently from Firefox but it still doesn't play the video. If it had worked that would've been an interesting finding and I suppose I could even have used it occasionally till the Firefox problem was fixed. As it is, I'm going to forget all about IE and concentrate on getting Firefox to work.

I had successfully used WMP with Firefox before, though I don't remember how long (how many Firefox updates) ago. I figure that one of the last few updates must have clobbered something and that I still haven't found what needs to be restored to its previous condition.

I assume I must once have had npdsplay.dll at least in my Firefox plugins folder in order to download and view the videos I did. If so then it doesn't make much sense for Firefox to have removed it from there -- and still less for it to have removed it from the WMP folder as well -- unless the changes were part of the transition to a different way of making WMP play videos, a way that's neither working right nor documented yet.

I'm guessing that somewhere in Mozilla Land this very topic is being discussed. I just wish I knew how to find where.

12. Augie65

Augie65

If the WMP had played in IE, then I would suspect something in Firefox. Since it won't play correctly in IE either, then you probably need to troubleshoot the WMP. I guess that you are using WMP9. Open the WMP on your computer and click on the Tools menu, click Options. On the Player tab, select the Download codecs automatically check box. Close the player, then go to the web site in IE that you said wouldn't play the video. If a codec is needed to play the video, it should be downloaded automatically.

13. gophersnake

I found Download codecs automatically already checkmarked. I assume that means it has been, all along.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice