1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox 1.5*latest - dangerous & insecure?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bugsquasher, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bugsquasher

bugsquasher Thread Starter

Based on the last update to 1.5.0.5, there appear to be many security problems:

http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2006/2998

It appears there are many serious security issues which have made it vulnerable to attack.

Is the latest Microsoft IE now more secure against bugs and phishing?

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

no stick with FF

3. bugsquasher

MFDnSC: Please elaborate.

4. astrodaddy

astrodaddy

Affected Products

Mozilla Firefox version 1.5.0.4 and prior
    Mozilla Thunderbird version 1.5.0.4 and prior
    Mozilla SeaMonkey version 1.0.2 and prior

Solution

Upgrade to Firefox 1.5.0.5, SeaMonkey 1.0.3, and Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 :
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/

It says this when you scroll down past the security issues. So I dont think the security issues would matter as long as you upgraded.

5. Augie65

Augie65

If you are currently running Firefox 1.5.0.4, just click on Help> Check for Updates and Firefox will automatically update your browser to version 1.5.0.5.

6. bugsquasher

My firefox has automatically updated. However, I am left to wonder how many more holes exist, considering the number and severity of the list of problems most recently discovered.

Is anyone else concerned at all about this?

7. Augie65

Augie65

There is no perfect security. I run anti-spyware programs, anti-virus, firewall and run behind a router. I know there will always be someone trying to find a hole to enter computers, I try to be careful and know the only sure way to be absolutely safe is not use the internet.

8. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

The latest IE is a beta and many are having problems

FF is more secure than IE and the hackers are going to go after MS first

9. bugsquasher

I'm not convinced. Did you take a look at that report of the list of security problems with FF?

I used to believe that FF was more secure but am not convinced at this point. I've been in IT now for many years and get worried when I upgrade a program (from 1.5 to 1.5.x) and see a long laundry list of serious security holes. The main idea of upgrading to 1.5* was to fix such problems.

I'd like to know specifically why FF is more secure RIGHT NOW than IE ?

I just don't see it, and I'm being completely honest.

10. danmcman

danmcman

If programmers could foresee every security hole and venerability before it was released, there would no such thing as patches. The FF dev community is doing a superb job of evolving their browser. There will ALWAYS be security holes, thats not the point. The ones who adapt their software to avert such security holes the fastest are the ones you should trust the most.

11. TOGG

TOGG

I think you may have misunderstood the various security advisories about the Mozilla/Firefox exploits/vulnerabilities.

It seems clear enough to me that 1.5.0.5 is designed to deal with those potential exploits and only earlier versions could be considered to be at risk. Remember that the mere existence of a theoretically possible exploit/loophole, does not mean that a workable version will happen any time soon.

Depending on where you look, you can find sites which suggest that IE has either 11 or 19 unpatched holes, some of them very old, but even Microsoft's harshest critics would not suggest that they are all high risk or dangerous holes. It's just that it is sloppy to leave software with defects, serious or not.

Given that MS have had far too many problems with their patches in the past, they probably don't want to risk breaking something else by dealing with what they would say are minor or technical problems.

Here's a specimen of the type of vulnerability list for IE that I'm talking about; http://secunia.com/product/11/ and here's the list for Firefox; http://secunia.com/product/4227/ (which obviously hasn't yet been updated to list the most recent discoveries fixed by the issue of 1.5.0.5).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice