1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox 2.0 Bad at Blocking Macromedia Flash Ads!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

This has to do with Firefox 2.0 and the terrible way that it deals with Macromedia Flash Content Sites: Here is my situation:

FIREFOX DOES NOT BLOCK ADWARE AND SPYWARE FROM MACROMEDIA FLASH SITES!

This is the one issue about Firefox that needs to be addressed in future releases. Just to give you an example, I have the following on my system for malware/adware removal:

Spybot S & D
    Adaware SE
    AVG Anti-Virus 7.5
    AVG Anti-Spyware Pro 7.5
    Windows Defender
    Spyware Blaster

At any rate, my normal scan with AVG Anti-Spyware showed only 15-19 tracking cookies before I installed Firefox 2.0. After installation, I was very disappointed at the poor quality of the pop-up blocker in terms of blocking Flash page ads. I was getting pop-ups and pop unders that IE 7 and Opera 9 would have blocked but Firefox did not.

I downloaded the Adblock plug in extension. But before I did that, I did my monthly spyware/adware removal scans. AVG Anti Spyware's tracking cookies jumped from 19 to 71! For a browser that does such a good job with other security issues, the Flash pop up blocker should be included as part of a future browser upgrade. NOT some optional installed plug-in. Fortunately, these nasties are only tracking cookies, but this issue seriously needs to be addressed by Mozilla ASAP.

I am aware of right-clicking to block certain banner ad content. But to my knowledge, this does not stop the Flash Player Ads. Although Adobe Macromedia Flash Player is required to play games at certain sites, Firefox really needs to stop or block those annoying banner ads without the need for users to download a separate plug in.

I would strongly recommend using IE 7 or Opera 9 to go to ANY Macromedia sites, until Mozilla releases a future upgrade to fix this problem!

Jack

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

I don't find that a big problem and I don't think Mozilla wants to integrate an ad-blocker into Fx.

It is a pop-up blocker, not a ad-blocker.

Using IE to go to Flash sites would be even worse.

3. VAComputerSvcs

VAComputerSvcs

You might be looking for the extension Ad-block Plus which will be able to help you block Adobe/Macromedia Flash advertisements.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

Also, you can clear your private data if you want by clicking Tools > Clear Private Data. Advocating going to use IE for this reason would be counter-productive.

4. ferrija1

ferrija1

I think he has that.

5. hewee

hewee

I have my cookies setting so only cookies I say can set a cookie and all other sites are blocked.

On ads and bad sites I have a hosts file that blocks most ads etc.

Then for flash I have tried ad-ons to deal with the flash but I go back to using a batch file that turn the flash on and off.

On the flash plugin you need to disable all of them so do a search for npswf32.dll.
    You can not disable one because flash will find another npswf32.dll on your computer and use it so the flash will still run.

Like I have netscape and the npswf32.dll plugin so got a batch file for it.
    I got firefox and the npswf32.dll plugin so have a batch for that.
    The last time I upgraded the flash it also installed the npswf32.dll plugin for thunderbird. I did not make a batch file for it but I disabled it by renaming the npswf32.dll to npswf32.dll.off

So do a search of your computer for npswf32.dll and all the added ones not in yout firefox plugin folder rename them to npswf32.dll.off.

Then you can copy and paste the code here into notepad and then save it as a KillFlash.bat and that will make it a batch file.
    You may have to edit the path to the plugin because what you see is for my PC that is the default where Firefox installed thing on 98SE.

Code:
    @echo off
    if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npswf32.dll" goto disable
    if exist "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npswf32.dll.off" goto enable
    echo Couldn't find a flash plugin.
    echo.
    goto usage

:disable
    ren "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npswf32.dll" "npswf32.dll.off"

echo Flash Disabled.
    goto done

:enable
    ren "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npswf32.dll.off" "npswf32.dll"

echo Flash Enabled.
    goto done

:usage
    echo You must specify the path to your browser's plugins directory.
    echo Put the path in double quotes if it includes spaces.
    echo For example, toggleflash.bat "c:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\plugins"

:done

6. tjb

tjb

7. ferrija1

ferrija1

8. hewee

hewee

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice