1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox am trying to set downloads to automatically save ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sportman3, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sportman3

sportman3 Thread Starter

Am using Firefox am trying to set downloads to automatically save instead of prompting me to open them anyone know a fix ?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. sportman3

sportman3 Thread Starter

4. renegade600

renegade600

could have sworn I gave an answer to this question. Maybe it was in one of the other forums you posted this question in. anyway too lazy to go and check so

one way is to go into preferences, select applications, click on the file extensions you download and select save in the action column

5. sportman3

sportman3 Thread Starter

renegade600 go into preferences, select applications, click on the file extensions you download and select save in the action column where is it in firefox ?

6. Macboatmaster

7. sportman3

sportman3 Thread Starter

8. Macboatmaster

It is on the second link I sent you in post 2

If you find that procedure too labour intensive for selecting the types of files, then you will have to use a download tweaker as an add-on

9. sportman3

sportman3 Thread Starter

Macboatmaster where are the preferences, in Firefox or where ?

10. Macboatmaster

11. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Sportman3: Let's see if this gets you where you need to go.

On your keyboard, press the Alt key.
    The menubar should pop into view at the top of firefox.
    On that menubar, click Tools, then click Options on the menu that pops up.
    The Options window should open.

Click General on the top left of the Options window.
    In the Downloads section on the General tab, place a check by "Save files to".
    Make a note of where the location they are saved to is or alternatively click the Browse button and select where you want downloaded files to go.

When you are finished, click the OK button at the bottom of the Options window to save the changes you made.

12. sportman3

sportman3 Thread Starter

throoper I have this set what you wrote below am trying to do this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/957427

On your keyboard, press the Alt key.
    The menubar should pop into view at the top of firefox.
    On that menubar, click Tools, then click Options on the menu that pops up.
    The Options window should open.

Click General on the top left of the Options window.
    In the Downloads section on the General tab, place a check by "Save files to".
    Make a note of where the location they are saved to is or alternatively click the Browse button and select where you want downloaded files to go.

When you are finished, click the OK button at the bottom of the Options window to save the changes you made. am trying to do this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/957427 I can no

13. throoper

If I'm getting this right, you DON'T want to automatically save every download.
    In that case, on that General tab place a check next to "Always ask me where to save files" and OK.

If you have some file types that either don't ask and simply download or open with a certain program and you want to change that behavior for that particular file type, then you need to go into the Options and instead of General click on Applications.
    There will be a list of all the file types you've previously made a selection for and by clicking on that file type you'll get a drop down where you can change the behavior.
    I've attached a screenshot of my selction for PDF file types to show this.

Attached Files:

14. sportman3

sportman3 Thread Starter

throoper I only have this in General tab save files checked what your screenshot is different it is in Application what do I have to do Application ?

15. throoper

The Applications tab I showed is where you can select what action you want for the file types listed there.
    Note that not all file types will be in that list. Only things you have previously selected to "Do this automatically for files like this " will be there.

For example: If you have the General tab set to always download and save files, but some file types (such as JPG) still automatically open or ask what you want to do with it, you will need to find that file type in the list in Applications and change it's behavior there.
    Just click on it in the list and it will enable a drop down with selections on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice