1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox and 'about:config'

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sachs, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

I have had recently a most unexpected severe trouble with Firefox 8 that suddenly became radically abnormally changed resulting necessary to install a new completely clean one to fix the accident. Then, currently I have a browser that has no about:config settings as had all my previous ones with no problems.

Even when the above mention problem didn't have any relation with any manipulation at all (I was 'googling' classical music stores), I am affraid to perform the about:config settings that many apparently serious people advice for a Netbook as mine (1 M RAM; 15 MG broad band). Sorry for the above lines, but in summary, How adviceable or necessary are about:config settings; and if answer would be 'yes' what would be the ones to perform or to avoid? Many thanks and friendly cheers.

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

Hi again Sachs. I was going to answer your inquiry on the other thread but think I know why you split it off as a separate question and can't say I blame you.:D

I assume you're referring to the various speed and memory tweaks for Firefox that appear on the web in different forums.
    Most were developed for FF versions prior to 2.0 when there were a lot of memory leaks and fetch problems coupled with slower connections.
    With XP and 1MB RAM on a 15 MB connection and FF8, I can't honestly say any of them would be needed. At best, any performance boost would be so marginal it wouldn't be noticable and most issues they address have been taken care of in the newer versions of Firefox.

But, that said, everyone's system and usage is different. If you do want to try some to see if they give better performance, separate them into groups by what they are supposed to do (eg: Memory, connection speed, display, etc.) and try some in small groups, keeping track of what you do. Run like that for a period of time (a day or two), and if you don't see a difference reset those settings to the defaults and move on to the next group.

Hope that helps.

3. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

Dear Trooper, Many thanks for your so interested and clever answer. I have also, that appart of the funny fest that I had with it, new Firefox is, at last, fast starter, light and fast web opener. I think I will decide to let about:config be quiet- This matter reminds me when I drived my cars and didin't like to add absolutely nothing. The same when I have to choose a taxi, I prefer those ones whose cars are free of adds (toys, pendants, etc.), Many, many really friendly thanks and warm regards.

4. throoper

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could be of help.

5. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

I have just changed tools>content>colours to unclik "let the pages choose their own colurs" and, inmediately, Fireox got disturbed in the same way I had last days. It was reversible and things came back to normal when i cloiked again the mentioned square. I hope no one might have this trouble at knowing this so absolutely rare issue. Anyone could explain this to me? I just wanted to give the visited places a special colour (can't I?). Could it be a Firefox 8's bug? But when went back to older versions things didn't improve. Greetings for everybody and thanks again.

6. throoper

So that's what happened.
    In Firefox (all versions as far as I know and can remember) un-checking the box that allows websites to use their own colors has the effect of turning off the style sheet for web pages.
    You may want to check out Stylish. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
    That will enable you to selectively add your own style to sites.

7. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

As usual, many thanks indeed. My question is how nobody thought I could have modified that matter when I was begging help? I installedd the addon. I expect it doesn't mean problems by itlsef. Friendly regards.

8. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

The new add on send me to a web page... I do not clearly realize how is its mode of functioning... Neither find how could I set that visited pages got a special colour. If you can help me it would be very good. Cheers

9. throoper

I use it mainly for Chrome changes to the browser and I'm not that familiar with styling web pages.
    Check out this site. http://userstyles.org/stylish
    It has ready made styles for many places and should give you a good idea of how to make your own custom styles.
    It also has a Help section available on the left that will lead you through basic use and style writing.

10. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

Thousand thanks. I will explore. Regards.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice