Firefox and Chrome freeze in Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrjoelcairo

Hello
I know I'm supposed to post the system info etc. about a problem, but I can't get the computer with the problem to let me get past the first internet page.

It takes me to a home page, then lets me go to one more page, then freezes. I tried malwarebytes, spybot, adwcleaner, and tweaking.com to no avail. What can I do?

Thanks,
Joel

mrjoelcairo

thanks for replying.

Just tried I.E.. Same bad result. for example, it says, "Some Gmail features have failed to load due to an Internet connectivity problem..."

It happens on around the third click of any internet session. Just freezes with a spinning "still loading" wheel or gives me a message like the one above.

mrjoelcairo

in one repair session after running the system file checker scan from an elevated prompt, i think it said i was missing a file called

api-ms-win-service-core-L1-1-0.dll

and that's when i ran tweaking.com in safe mode, which i thought was supposed to repair that kind of stuff?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If your Windows Vista desktop or laptop (which you didn't describe) has a working internet connection, do the following in it:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the current version of Google Chrome is no longer supported in Windows Vista.

In order to keep Mozilla Firefox current and supported in Windows Vista, you need to use the 52.x ESR version.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

----------------------------------------------------------------

mrjoelcairo

thanks for the help

so, i couldnt get internet on that vista 2 machine, so i tried copying the file on a flash drive
and running it, but sysinfo came back empty

i tested the file on the laptop i'm using from work and it performed fine
can't understand why file wouldnt work in my tower

manually, i can tell you that it is windows home premium 32-bit SP2
AMD athlon 7550 dual core processor, 3.0Gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nforece 430

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your laptop appears to be 9 - 10 years old.
Is the same Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit in it that came in it, or has it been reinstalled or factory reset during that time?
Is the same hard drive in it that came in it, or has it been replaced during that time?

---------------------------------------------------------------

mrjoelcairo

haha I know
I realize it's way beyond time to upgrade, but I'm getting a new tower from my job in mid-Sept, so trying to get through July and August.
my compaq tower is the one which has that Vista ed2 and is giving me internet trouble i wrote about. other than running updates etc., the original windows vista is in there and it didnt come with discs or i would just reinstall.
hard drive is the same; never replaced.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
my compaq tower is the one which has that Vista ed2 and is giving me internet trouble i wrote about.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought you were talking about a laptop.
If you have a HP/Compaq brand tower, it should have a serial number(S/N) and product/part number(P/N) on it.
Advise us what those exact numbers are.
Unless it's 10 years old or older, HP should still have a support site for it.
The SP2 upgrade was released in May 2009.
If yours came with Windows Vista SP2, that means it was manufactured after that date and is about 8 years old.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I didn't ask for the product key. I asked for the product/part number.
Please remove the product key from your last reply before someone here sees it and tries to use it illegally.

None of the other information you submitted helps to identify your HP/Compaq tower.
Only its serial number and product/part number does that.

mrjoelcairo

Compaq Presario CQ5107C Desktop PC

prod # NY461AA-ABA

S/N: CNX9240W0T

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks for submitting its description.
You can disregard my previous request for the serial number and product/part number.
Give me a few minutes to get back to you.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
HERE is the support site for your Compaq Presario CQ5107C Desktop PC (NY461AA#ABA).
It was introduced in May 2009 in the U.S.A. and Canada and came with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit and came with these specs:
AMD Athlon X2 7550 2.50 GHz dual core processor
3 GB DDR2-800 RAM (supports up to 4 GB)
320 GB SATA II hard drive
DVD+/-RW disc drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE graphics
Realtek ALC888S high definition audio
Realtek RTL8201N 10/100 Mbps ethernet
250W power supply

That Compaq desktop is actually a good candidate for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit.
Unfortunately, a legitimate copy is hard to find and isn't cheap.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online