Firefox and Chrome freeze in Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrjoelcairo

thanks for this.

i wrote them about software issues, and they simply told me: "Your product’s warranty expired on July 26, 2011"

Is there another section of the link you sent that i should pursue?

mrjoelcairo

ok
I ran Hijack this, and it tells me my
vsocklib.dll file is missing

is there a trustworthy site where i can download a replacement?

mrjoelcairo

Cant get the ESR version of Firefox to work because this keeps happening.

vsocklib.dll file is missing

I used lspfix and that didnt solve it.

Anyone, where can I get the missing vsocklib.dll file?

peterh40

Peter
If the machine is running on VMWare such as Workstation they you need to install the VMWare guest tools to install this missing library.
Alternatively, try running SFC /ScanNow to search for missing DLL files.
I have Windows 10, I do not have this file by default.

Source: https://dllsearch.net/dlls/v/vsocklib-dll-file

Replacement Browser needed for Firefox on VISTA:

Lunascape is one of very few browsers I've come across that isn't threatening to quit supporting Vista but I can't find any real user reviews of it or any other browsers which will still be supported on Vista so I'm hoping someone on this forum can help. Also, is CNET.com the safest site to use to download Lunascape?

From 2007 when I bought my Vista system, up to present day, I have faithfully downloaded, installed and updated all SPs, KBs, drivers, etc. and used IE, Firefox and Chrome without any browser problems until this past year. I have already stopped using IE and Chrome because they are no longer supported in Vista (so not safe to use) and now Firefox will stop supporting Vista in September.

I bought my Vista Home Premium 32-bit (HP Pavilion Media Center TV PC, 2 gb memory, 400 gb hard drive) in 2007, suffered through all of Vista's quirks and problems in 2008, and finally came to love it, especially with its installed TV tuner and Media Center which lets me watch TV and do my computer work at the same time, on one screen (I use a 32-inch TV for my monitor).

I'm currently using Firefox 52.2.1 (32-bit) ESR version made for Vista, but right after I updated to that latest Firefox version, I've had nothing but problems with Firefox when trying to connect to most websites, including Yahoo and especially to my Yahoo Mail. And if I do get to Yahoo's home page, often I cannot access other websites (just get the spinning icon and "about" screen).

Since that ESR update, Firefox and Yahoo are not playing well separately or together. If I do manage to get a connection to a website on Firefox, I get a blank page, or a web page that looks like an essay outline.

When I'm able to connect to the Yahoo Mail login screen, it usually doesn't recognize my account and/or my password and I have to use Help to have a secure code sent to my cell phone. Then I'm able to login but the process is very slow and cumbersome and sometimes it just freezes and I have to start over. It seems Firefox may have already stopped support for Vista, and now I'm wondering about Yahoo support.

I've tried all the Firefox suggestions, including Refresh, several times and nothing helps (still same bad results.) I also run Malware Bytes and AVG free versions frequently but they have not found any viruses or malware.

I really want to uninstall Firefox but I need to find a different browser first, so I can keep Vista for another year or two. (By that time, Microsoft will probably be all be in the cloud with another completely new MS 15 or MS 20 OS!)

And yes, I've read many posts on this forum which say, forget Vista and move on now, but I'm not ready to do that yet, for several reasons. At the age of 80, I guess you could say I'm a little set in my ways. I've gotten very comfortable with all the software, file systems, data, etc. I already have on Vista and I really don't want to start with a new system, especially Windows 10.

I'm also very irked that Microsoft did not include a Media Center package in Windows 10, and are also forcing users to buy yearly subscriptions to their Office 365 cloud storage. My MS Office 2003-2007 has served me very well, thanks!

I also have a Sony laptop with Windows 7 which I'm using to access my Yahoo Mail and secure online websites since all the Firefox and Yahoo trouble started (both run very well on 7 OS but the laptop doesn't have a TV tuner nor Media Center (only Media Player). I don't know if it's possible to add those to the laptop but I still prefer a desktop.

I wanted to upgrade my desktop Vista to Windows 7 but now I'm finding that it's about impossible to find a licensed 7 OS. So, are there any other Vista users out there who can recommend another browser for Vista?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online