1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox Autocomplete

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Dr Dave, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Thread Starter

To turn on inline autocomplete in the Firefox web browser...

1. Enter about:config in the URL field
    2. Right-click on the page and create a new Boolean value
    3. Enter browser.urlbar.autoFill as the preference name (note, case-sensitive: 'F', not 'f')
    4. Set the value to true

2. bkpeck

bkpeck

I'm a beginner. What will this do??

3. Dr Dave

Dr Dave Thread Starter

Go on the internet and use Google as your search engine, type in Autocomplete
    and then you will know what the Autocomplete function is. Just about any and everything can be learned the same way.

4. Sooky 47

Sooky 47 Gone and dearly missed

bkpeck ...... I found this one also. Hope it sheds some light too! Hope this info helps!

5. bkpeck

bkpeck

Thank you Sooky!!

6. khalil1974

khalil1974

Thanks mate, nice post you have there (y)

7. mach9

mach9

Again Dr. Dave, very helpful FF tips. Much appreciated. (y)

8. jparr111

jparr111

(y) Another good tip...Thanks (y)

9. Dean Mechler

Dean Mechler

After entering the New> Boolean Name the next field asks for a "string value" not a "boolean value". After typing in "true" I have a String entry instead of a Boolean entry. What am I doing wrong?

Seems to me that this could be done alot easier than this. Who would have discovered "about:config" unless you search for it? This should be in the setup somewhere. My opinion anyway.

Thanks for any help!

10. Aderon

Aderon Account Closed

After reading the article sooky posted I still don't get it. Does it make it so that when I type something in, if i start to type it again, then it gives me a suggestion on what I'm typing? That doesn't really make sense because mine already does that. Could someone spread some light on the situation.

11. AvvY

AvvY

In IE when you had visited a number of websites and they had been stored in the history, if you then went to type a site URL which you'd beed to, as you typed the closest match to what you were typing would appear - based on your viewing history.

Firefox never did this, but the address bar would drop down and list the pages you had been to. This mod does the same as what IE does and thats fill in the rest of the URL based on your history.

Late,

12. Aderon

Aderon Account Closed

O I think I understand now. So instead of giving you options it autofills and all you have to do is press enter or something? Sorry, it's been a LONG time since I've used IE.

13. AvvY

AvvY

Lol, yeah same, I haven't used it for about 5-6 years now. But I use it for site testing.
    Anyway, yeah, instead of the Firefox adressbar dropping down and listing the sites you have visited, this has it so it automatically fills the address bar with the rest of the URL for you, provided you have already been to the site. For example:

I go and visit techguy.org
    I close the browser and come back later
    I open the browser and start typing "www.te"
    Automatically the addressbar fills with www.techguy.org
    All I have to do is press Enter

Late,

14. malford

malford

I want to have Firefox fill in my passwords on accounts.

Password Manager gave up after I answered "Not this time" or whatever, when it asked if I wanted it to auto-fill in passwords. (I did this a bunch of times before I decided I wanted f fox to do this for me)

Now I have to fill in the passwords myself. Firefox doesn't ask anymore whether I want it to save passwords.

I looked in Password Manager, but there's no setting or info on how to turn it back ON for certain accounts (it does it for some)

15. AvvY

AvvY

Go into:

Tools>Options>Privacy> And clear all saved passwords and get it to learn them again from scratch - this should fix it.

Late,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice