1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox basic questions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by theoldmole, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoldmole

theoldmole Thread Starter

I'm sure I'm way behind the curve on this, but can someone give me the basic pros and cons on Firefox? Should I be using it as my main browser? Why or why not?

2. llsee

llsee

First Name:
    Larry
    Hello... I first installed Firefox around the first of the year and have been experimenting with it for the past 9 months. I used both it and an enhanced version of IE called MyIE2. After the 1.0 release of Firefox, and the latest release of Thunderbird (Mozilla's stand-a-lone Email program) I made the switch to using Firefox as my default browser.

The main reasons I have heard for switching to Firefox are for security. IE seems to have a lot of security vulnerabilities, and a considerable number of people who want to exploit them. Firefox closes many of these vulnerabilities. In addition, Firefox has a variety of very nice browsing enhancements. One that I particularly like is the tabbed windows. If I want to open a link in a new window, the window shows up as a tab in the top of the browser, and not a new copy of the browser. In addition, Firefox has a lot of "Extensions" available that you can install to personalize your web browsing. Firefox is not supported by any company, but by the mozilla.org. It is "open-source" software and just about anyone who desires, can submit changes (there are rules). I have found over the last 9 months that support is pretty good. Postings to their forums are generally answered quickly and competently. In addition, one forum is dedicated to enhancement requests, and as new versions are released, they incorporate the most com monly requested enhancements. All in all, I have found it to be a sound functionally strong web browser for my personal use.

Some of the reasons for not using Firefox include (1) It is an Open source product, not supported by any company where virtually anybody can modify the code. (2) Since IE is the most commonly used browser in the world, some developers create web sites that only work with IE. I must add, that in 9 months of use, the only web site I have found that does not work with Firefox is the Microsoft Windows Updates site. I have also heard that IE has some functionality that is used by heavyweight web developers.

Now my personal opinion, for what it is worth, if you are reasonably computer savvy, keep your security up to date, use a firewall, anti-virus software, and frequently check for spyware, you are probably pretty safe with IE. If you like the tabbed browsing enhacement of Firefox, try a modified IE such as MyIE2, now called Maxthon, which adds many browsing enhancements, but is built on the IE browsing engine. (There are others, such as SecureIE.) Of course, I don't frequent high-risk web sites either.

For me, I like the flexibility of Firefox. And now that Thunderbird has added many of the functions I frequently use, and improved the ability to import saved Email from Outlook, I am using Thunderbird and Firefox full time. Maybe I also like the idea that there should be a reasonable alternative to Microsoft and IE. So, it only costs a little of your time to download and install Firefox. It is free. You don't have to make it your default browser and you can try it out and see what you think. And unlike IE, if you don't like it, you can always un-install it and delete it from your system.

Lary C

3. TOGG

TOGG

Another important plus, IMHO, is that when 'exploits' are discovered in Mozilla/Firefox (or Opera, another good alternative to IE), they tend to get 'fixed' much more quickly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/281032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice