1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox behaving strangely

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steven1350, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steven1350

steven1350 Thread Starter

This is a problem which has been bothering me for the last couple of weeks. I use Firefox (and I hate IE7 with a passion, so dont go there...) for almost everything, but lately certain websites do not function normally.

Such websites include:
    rogers.yahoo.com (text and images stretched exceptionally large)
    google.com (the igoogle interface sometimes shows SQL errors, doesnt load the rss feeds)
    youtube.com (works sometimes, other times tell me to install flash player 9, which I have)
    aircanada.com (error messages (not every time though :s)
    & the lost goes on

The odd thing is that all of the above mentioned websites function normally in IE7. I have tried with several attempts to fix this, but to no avail. This is what I have done:

Cleared all cache / cookies
    Uninstalled, then re-installed firefox
    Yelled at the computer, and cursed violently

Anybody else have this problem, or have a suggustion to make?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Maybe try Opera ? at least until you fix Firefox

BTW I tried those sites with Firefox, they all worked ok for me.

3. steven1350

I think its something askew on my laptop rather then firefox in general. However, I am also constatnly ripping on Opera (which my friend uses), and I would be forever devastated if my friend saw me using Opera.

4. steven1350

Ok, I fixed the problem.

I uninstalled firefox (again), and manually deleted all files left behind after the uninstallation. I got rid of files from "Program Files", and the files left behind in my user profile. I made sure I backed up my bookmarks, because doing this erases them.

After re-installion, All of the above websites worked normally.

5. steven1350

**sigh**

The problem has surfaced again. This is hopeless...........

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Check if you have a suitable System Restore point to go back to.

If you have to go through the whole uninstall-reinstall process again make a System Restore point just after the re-install of Firefox (when everything works) then if the problem returns you can do a System Restore and it should be usable again.

BTW is there anything unusual about your Firefox set up, plug-ins etc. ?

EDIT : perhaps you should remove the 'Solved' in the thread title, if that's not possible it might be best to start a new thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice