Firefox cold startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

br967

I want to start by saying sorry if I should have put this thread in a different section. Anyway, I was wondering if there was anything I can do to dec the amount of time Firefox takes to load after a restart/shutdown of the computer. Once Firefox completes a cold startup, which takes around 30 seconds, it usually opens within 3 seconds. I've been looking around the web for solutions and I've tried the preloader and the prefetch trick (which seems to be a fake) and nothing has worked. It seems that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem from what I've read at the mozilla forms.

br967

I did have preloader running at startup and it still didn't do anything for me. Although I reinstalled Windows today and partitioned my hard drive with an application partition, which resulted in Firefox opening in 6-8 seconds.

I have the same problem, 30-40 second lag. I wont try the preloader, it already takes 5 minuts for my comp to get ready to work!

Check what you have loading at Startup, both programs and services. Knock some off. The only programs you need to really need to load at Startup are those in the OS plus the Anti-virus program, Firewall, and spyware blockers. If you don't use the internet, remove the last three. Start others individually when you need them. Find somewhere that explains Windows services and eliminate those you do not need. For instance, if you never send or receive faxes via your computer shut down that service (most personal computer users never use the Windows fax function). Do you keep every E-mail you have ever received? How much junk is in your My Documents Folder?
Gene (y)

br967

I had the bare min starting up and I barely had any email. Yet after my XP reinstall I'm down to 6 sec cold startups.

jackdw said:
I have the same problem, 30-40 second lag. I wont try the preloader, it already takes 5 minuts for my comp to get ready to work!
I agree I have mine pretty streamlined, the last thing I want is another prog running lets fix the problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online