1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox crashes over and over

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by davemac13, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davemac13

davemac13 Thread Starter

About mid January after a Windows update, my Firefox started not working, it crashes and produces a crash report over and over. I did a system restore and it worked for a few days and then the problem started again. I am running windows 7. If I boot the computer into safe mode, Firefox opens, but does not connect to the internet, I have tried disabling the add-ons but once back in normal mode, it does not work. I tried to download a beta version of firefox 19.0 and still no help, I uninstall firefox, redownload, reinstall and still it only produces infinate crash reports. IE runs so slowly that I do not wish to use it.

Advice anyone?

Thanks
    Dave

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I'm not clear on if it works in Firefox Safe-Mode or only Windows Safe-Mode.
    If only Windows SM, I would suspect a corrupted Profile.
    Try creating a new Profile and also make sure Firefox is set as the default browser.

3. davemac13

davemac13 Thread Starter

No firefox will not even open to go to FF safemode, it opens only in windows safemode. How do I make a new profile? Not sure what that means.

thanks

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If it's opening normally in Safe Mode, you might have an application interfering with Firefox in Normal Mode. Try a Clean Boot troubleshooting procedure in order to isolate the offending application. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

First, Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open the Windows Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and scroll down the list to be sure there are no firefox.exe processes running. If you find any, select them and click End Process. OK the "dire" warning about terminating processes.
    Then hold down the Shift key on the keyboard while clicking the Firefox icon. That will open it directly into FF Safe Mode.
    If it doesn't open, let me know if you get any error messages.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice