1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox downloading from a site on launch....

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by atryeu, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atryeu

atryeu Banned Thread Starter

Long story short, my computer died the other day and instead of buying a new power supply, we bought a new PC to fix all the problems at once. I'm on a prebuilt Dell now running Windows 8.1 and am at a bit of a loss so forgive me with PC data not being up to date. I don't know my way around in the least bit....

I had the Firefox 33.0.2 installer on my external drive before the other computer went down. Being on dialup and a confusing new system I didnt' want to update yet (I will as soon as I get more important things running again). I installed that version but as soon as I launch Firefox every single time, it is connecting to a site behind the scenes (according to the TCPView program from Microsoft's site) called "MarkMonitor" that is owned by Google. It is downloading something, I have no idea what. So far I can stop it when I see the info come up in the TCPView program but I'd like to disable it completely. Because I'm on dialup, it's causing a massive amount of problems though when it runs. It does it launching the browser, and it does it off and on at random after I've closed that connection. Does anybody know what that "MarkMonitor" site is and why Firefox would be downloading from them and how I stop it?

Note, this did NOT start until I installed Firefox on this system. It does not do it in IE. I've done a search on the computer and can't find any reference to whatever that is and like I said, I have no idea what I'm really doing on this new OS. Also, this installer had NO problems on Windows XP for the last several months that I'd been using that version of Firefox.

If any computer info is needed, please let me know and I'll track it down but the below info should allow anybody to find out all the details as this was a prebuilt system this time.

Dell Inspiron 3000 (Model 3847-4616BK)

Thank you.

2. atryeu

I have a small update on this. It seems the problem isn't with just Firefox, I saw the Remote Address info come up for Yahoo Messenger as well, so it has to be something on the computer.

Has anybody heard of that "MarkMonitor" and know how to disable it so it stops causing problems with the internet? Like I said, Windows 8.1 is a big confusing mess to me and I'm at a loss with everything. My last OS was Win XP :(

3. atryeu

Another update.... The 1e100.net address is Google. It keeps coming up when I have Firefox open and when I open Yahoo messenger. It sits there downloading though and I don't know what it is downloading. Anybody know how to stop it from coming up and causing these problems?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. atryeu

plodr, just a heads up, in case you missed the info in the other posts. I mentioned that I found out this issue is NOT tied in with just Firefox and so it can't be related to my outdated version. I also noted that I am on a dialup service (and do not have access to high speed anywhere around here) and that whatever that 1e100.net is, it is interfering with the internet usage. It is a struggle just to load a page in any browser, let alone trying to spend upwards of 4 hours downloading an update that will not likely fix the issue since it comes up with other non related programs.

I have gotten along just fine with Firefox 33 for the last several months and don't see the need to update until this other issue is resolved and other top priority problems are taken care.

6. 2twenty2

2twenty2

7. atryeu

Thanks for that link. So, MarkMonitor is tied into some of those other big companies. I'm guessing the problem is with Google since their name is written on the 1e100.net WhoIs links that have been coming up and trying to download content to my system. It'd be nice to know why though and what they are trying to download :(

So far today I haven't noticed the entry coming up in TCPView. I've been connected a bit over an hour and haven't watched it the entire time but so far the internet is behaving like it should and hasn't given me a reason to look yet.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice