1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox/Explorer wont show maps on Mapquest

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by frolov, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frolov

frolov Thread Starter

I cant view maps on Mapquest. Scrips enabled. (XP)

2. hewee

hewee

In firefox I have noscript and I had to let the script run on www.mapquest.com and mqcdn.com

3. frolov

frolov Thread Starter

how do you let the script run on mapquest.com?

4. hewee

hewee

Don't use IE but in Firefox if you go to tools, options, content tab your see the Enable Java and Enable Java Script boxes that can be checked.
    I have both checked on mine but then I have the NoScript extension.
    It puts a icon in the lower right of firefox like you see in the More previews… page and you left click on it and up pop a list of options. I only give rights to sites I go to all the time and it will remember it. If I am at a new site but need the script to run I let it run for the session only.

You know Google maps is something like Mapquest so you could use that site too.

5. frolov

frolov Thread Starter

Both Java and Java Script are enabled.
    Yes Google maps is like Mapquest, but after Mapquest quit working, I started to use Google and a bounch of other ones, but it doesnt give accurate results.

6. hewee

hewee

It should work then but then I am guessing if your blocking images from mqcdn.com then it would keep you from seeing the map. So go to the same tab in the above post I talked about and look at the load image exceptions list to see if your blocking them.

Edit it looks like most all the images come from mqcdn.com so you would not see much of anything if you blocked images from mqcdn.com but I did have to let the script run for mqcdn.com or I would just get a blank spot were the map should be.

When I turned off the java script for www.mapquest.com I got this here below. But it works when I turn on the java script for www.mapquest.com and mqcdn.com and I am not letting the site set a cookie.
    You must have Javascript and Cookies turned on to view all MapQuest features. Find out more information »

So maybe the Find out more information » will help you out.

7. frolov

frolov Thread Starter

OK, I allowed mqcdn.com and mapquest by going to the bottom right of the window, but it still doesnt work.

I went to the "find out more information" link. and followed the instructions for firefox, but then I cant follow the instructions from step 5 and on because if I click on the advaced button next to enable Javascript, it has nothing to do with cookies. When i click on the Advanced tab, it also doesnt have any thing about cookies. Clicked on the Privacy tab and still didnt find "Enable cookies for the originating website only." or any of the following two(seems like the steps are messed up)

8. hewee

hewee

Don't know what is going on because it should work. Now I got firefox 1.5x so that step 5 means nothing. Plus it only say... "5. Click the Advanced button."

1 tru 4 is for Enable Javascript

6 tru 9 is for the cookies.

So who knows what the 5 is for because it looks like they forgot the rest.

But like I said I can get it to work with any cookies. So if it needs a cookie then maybe somehow I am blocking it from working right with my hosts file.

9. hitch

hitch

the maps don't come from mqcdn.com - though a lot of important stuff does (the CSS, JS files, etc) - but at the moment, if your referrer doesn't come through correctly you don't get a map.
    so if you're doing something to your referrers, or they're being stripped somewhere down the line, it will cause problems.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice