1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox FYI Is this true??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bkpeck, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkpeck

bkpeck Thread Starter

Firefox is a very nice browser with a lot of useful features. Contrary to what many seem to think, we're not against Firefox at all. What we're against is people who install Firefox because they were told it will protect them from every malicious file on the Internet. That is misleading. Firefox is not subject to the same vulnerabilities as Internet Explorer. That does not mean it is without vulnerabilities or flaws. If you download Firefox because you like some of its features, to try something different, or because Internet Explorer is not working correctly for you and you can't seem to fix it, those are good reasons. To download Firefox because you think it will keep you "safe" is not a good reason. Right now, as of this date (02 February 2005) there are currently five unpatched and one partially patched vulnerabilities in Firefox. Some of these have remained unpatched for several months. We're concerned with Firefox's ability to cope with a flood of hackers trying to find and exploit holes in it. As it becomes more and more mainstream it will surely happen. Two of the main programmers of Firefox have been hired by Google. Most of Firefox's staff consist of volunteers. How well these volunteers will cope with a steady stream of exploits over the coming months remains to be seen. Internet Explorer has a lot of vulnerabilities to be sure. But it has been the world's most popular browser for over 5 years. We wonder how many vulnerabilities Firefox will have after 5 years, if it already has six in just over 5 months (since public release of version 1.0)? No one knows, but downloading a browser and believing it will protect you can bring its own dangers with it. Remember: No one browser, no one program, can ever keep you 100% invulnerable to all the nefarious creatures lurking on the Internet. Use common sense, install good anti-virus protection, good anti-spyware programs, and a good firewall. The Internet, despite all of those who try to ruin it, is still a fun and wonderful place.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is there a question in that?

If you are asking "is it true", then it depends on what version is being referred.

It is normal practice to post the link to such articles, as that allows the context to be understood.

3. AvvY

AvvY

- Learn to use paragraphs if you wrote that.

Of course it is going to have flaws. Nothing is without it. But if you look at it, FireFox/Mozilla is much safer at the moment than IE. If Firefox becomes full of problems then I would certainly look for an alternative, provided a better alternative is available.

I did download Firefox originall because I thought it would save me from a lot of the nasty's on the net, and that has been true. I stopped using IE in 1999 and started using Netscape. After Netscape started to have problems I moved to Mozilla in 2001 (I think, Mozilla suite 1.2b). And started using Firefox at version 0.8.

I haven't had that many problems regarding spyware/adware or what not. Yes I do use firewall and antivirus and antispyware software, but the only time I have really had problems is with IE even though I don't use it for anything apart from Windows Update.

The main reason now why I choose Firefox is because of all the features it has, but I also recomend it to anyone who is wanting to avoid more problems of spyware. The ammount of BHO's, toolbars and other junk that gets installed into IE without you knowing it is terrible. The whole ActiveX issue needs to be addressed.

The only reason why people use IE and probably why it is the most popular browser is because it is bundled with Windows - and lets face it everyone uses Windows. And if you are stupid enough to use Windows (Me included) you will generally be stupid enough to just use IE because it's already there.

As I have said in other posts regarding IE VS Mozilla, is that no one in their right mind would download IE if it wasn't already installed on their comp.

One other superiority of Netscape/Mozilla browsers is that they are much better in reading page code aswell. I have experienced this when coding my website. I can code things are they look perfect in Mozilla, but you have to tweak the hell out of the code to make IE like it. IE is an old unlooked after browser. It is only made by Microsoft to bundle with its OS and is only maintained by providing meager security patches.

Late,

4. bkpeck

bkpeck Thread Starter

I'm sorry Kiwiguy I should have stated that I read this in Cloudeight Ave Premium today.
    I just wanted some more opinions and to let people know this about Firefox.

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I never tell people to use Firefox or Opera so they will be completely safe, I just tell them that they are significantly safer than IE.

I also tell them that IE can be configured to be relatively safe, but unless you know how to do it, you shouldn't use IE. Since AOL uses IE, its just as vulnerable or actually it's more vulnerable. People think "Well I'm not using IE, I'm using AOL".

It's my personal opinion that Opera is slightly safer than Firefox.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what browser you download files and then open them without scanning them, you are going to get yourself in trouble.

Browsers aside, if you leave yourself open without a Firewall and without a fully-patched system, you're going to get yourself in trouble. (especially if you have cable. (All it takes is seconds to be compromised). The problem is, people don't know what to let through and what to block.

As for the Firefox and Opera vulnerabilities, most of them can be plugged by turning off javascript and or java when you visit untrusted sites.

For IE, everything should be blocked except for trusted sites, but few actually configure IE that way.

6. TOGG

TOGG

When I read the original post, I was going to post an indignant response about the fact that it was wrong to refer to IE's 'popularity' or 'market share' when it was a 'no option, impossible to remove' extra that you got with Windows.

Now I don't have to bother because the point's been made, together with the fact that IE has probably been defective since MS bought it from Mosiac and 'adapted' it to bundle with Windows.

Anybody interested in 'locking' down IE should read this article (although I don't think it applies to XP SP2 versions) ;https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/btw/ie/ie-opts.htm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice