1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox has (half) lost my profile

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fish613, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fish613

fish613 Account Closed Thread Starter

On opening Firefox, I found that for no apparent reason, half of my settings have gone.

The following have gone:
    bookmarks
    toolbar customisations
    options
    extension options

The following remain unharmed:
    saved passwords
    extensions
    history
    :confused:

Can anyone suggest why Firefox should have lost half my profile? I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

fish613

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

I don't know why they're gone but I know you can get your bookmarks back by going to C:\Documents and Settings\[Account Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[Random string of 8 characters].default\bookmarkbackups and import them in Fx (File > Import...), if that helps at all.

3. fish613

fish613 Account Closed Thread Starter

Yes, thank you for that. I've already looked there, and I have the backups. The things that bother me most are the extension options, and I'm also dying to know how it happened, so I can stop it happening again.

fish613

4. Augie65

Augie65

You probably have a corrupt localstore.rdf file. Save a backup of all settings and try this:
    Start> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).
    When safe mode window opens, Select the option Reset toolbars and controls
    and then choose Make Changes and Restart. Then reset your options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541693