1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox hater....?!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by paulb100, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Iam an avid Firefox user and love the browser for its neat little add-ons, Tabs and the fact that its faster than IE7..even without the Fasterfox add-on...

I come across a site called Optimize XP...brilliant site and all credit to the guy who's made it...

However he has created a whole section on what he calls 'Firefox Myths'
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html
    and basically says that just about everything it does is wrong or poor

He said "Dishonest people use Fasterfox add-on to steal bandwidth from websites"
    I read in Computer Active that Ffox just got the edge for 1 week or summit in the market shares by less than a quarter of 1 percent...
    He says its utter rubbish and linked me to 4 sites ive never heard of that say other wise (IE 80% FF 13%)
    I told him that IE6 & IE7 come installed as part of windows (or update) as the default browser and that is why its the most widely used browser as most consumers arent interested in trying out other stuff...they just get the PC home and wanna go online...
    If Firefox was installed as Default browser it would be the most used browser...

He also said that its actually less secure than IE7 and the addons have malicious code in them>>>????
    surely this isnt true? not if your getting the add-ons direct from Mozilla who check them before uploading?

Whats tech guy users views on this?

2. ArThor

ArThor

Yes, if there was a faireplay competition between Firefox and Internet Explorer then Firefox would probably win. It is a very good browser - fast and reliable. Well done. I wish Mozila all the best.

3. Tstright

Tstright

I could care less what he says. I use FF for both my personal and business systems. Much better than IE IMHO.

But to each his own.

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Ive always thought that Firefox was the one that stood out from all the rest
    mostly because its faster at retrieving and loading pages.....

I agree that a lot of people may have been duped with the 'Its Safer' message
    as it doesnt apply Active X controls...But AX controls have to be run independently
    with your permission anyway so I dont think it makes much of a difference there
    and now with Firefox evermore popular hackers are starting to target it.

Still.... Firefox rules....

5. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

In my opinion it's safer in the area of scripts because with the NoScript extension it's much easier to allow those you want without globally allowing scripts. If it's easier, people are much more likely to use it. I see very few machines with scripts shut off in IE.

6. funnymatt

funnymatt

I find that IE7 renders fonts and pages better than Firefox, so I use it as my primary browser. But when creating pages, I test in IE6, IE7, Firefox, and Safari. Just from checking stats on the sites I manage, it seems that IE (6+7) tends to be about 80% of browsers, Firefox around 10%, Safari about 5%, Opera maybe 3%, and others make up the last 2%. I think they're all good at different things, and if you have your computer and network set up properly, safety isn't really an issue.

7. hewee

hewee

Firefox is better and just like netscape that was better then IE.
    If you have been around before MS went after netscape and all the new PC's came with browsers and Netscape was the one that almost everyone used till they stopped adding nerscape to the new PC's because if they did then MS up the price of windows so all PC makers stop adding netscape.
    It was then AOL got netscape and all new PC's only had IE that more started using IE because it was all they had.
    Also it was then I started seeing more and more post asking for help because they got this or that on there PC because of the holes in IE. By default IE is wide open for getting into trouble. People go to site and get popups asking to add the site to your trust zone and that's bad and to many have gotten into lots and lots of trouble doing that.
    Plus IE does not go by the web standard that all other browser do.

So looking at reports that say more use IE so it most be better is wrong. More us IE only because MS made it so all new PC only came with IE so all the newer PC and people is what made the IE count go up. But it is slow changing now that more are using firefox.
    But still if people don't download it and want to get online they only have IE.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice