1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox Help

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by In-Dent, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. In-Dent

In-Dent Thread Starter

I currently user Opera but decided to try Firefox. The one thing thats stopping me from changing over is that when you do "save link as" it always saves the link as a weird file, never just a mp3 as Opera or IE would. For example go to the link below and try and save the attachment to your computer. It ends up being named attachment (I know I can rename), and as a wierd file like .php or something. How do I fix this?

Test Link:
    Classic Al Green Flip - Future Producers

2. hewee

hewee

Not just sure what files you was talking about downloading. The ones I seen were in the attached box in the post. But not a attachment that you download to save but to download to your player to play so really they are just links.
    If I do a right click and pick "save link as" I get the same thing you do.
    If I click on them then the player opens. Like the al.mp3 in the 1st post for me opens in QT and plays it in a web page. I can then from there save it. Opps no I can not save it. I even have QT Pro that has some added save options and it will not save it.

So they are doing something there to protect things and to keep you from downloading.
    You may be able to go to file, save page as and save the page and get the song but then again the song file that gets saved my only be a shortcut.

Then even at times I can not get something to play or have a way to save it in forefox I can open netscape 7 and get the file and safe it. They both have the very same plugins too.

3. In-Dent

In-Dent Thread Starter

Well you see, in Opera i can right click and save link as to save al.mp3 as a mp3 file. However as you saw this does not work in Firefox. I want to be able to save links that usually open in the browser (such as the one you just tested) to my harddrive.

4. hewee

hewee

Ok but is opera saving the file or just a link?
    Your saying now that you want to be able in firefox to save the link.
    To save the link you can drag it into you bookmarks. Or grab the link and move it down to the windows taskbar into a blank spot and hold it there and wait for it to minimize the windows you have open and then you see your desktop and you can drag the shortcut to your desktop.

5. In-Dent

In-Dent Thread Starter

Sorry for the miscommunication. I want to be able to save the file to my hard disk.

6. Augie65

Augie65

Maybe I don't understand the problem either, like hewee. You can open Tools> Options> General tab, and either set the path were you want to save downloads or you can check the box:
    Always ask me where to save files.

7. hewee

hewee

That is ok.
    I just went into Netscape 7 and had the same type of trouble but was able to save it.
    I went to view, page info that you will not see in firefox. I have a Extension that gives me a button that I added to the tool bar but still in firefox I could not get it to work.
    In netscape I went to the page info, media tab and highlight it and clicked save. It said mp3 sound file something in the file type, In the file name box it said attachment.php so I deleted the php and added mp3 and saved it and it saved ok.

So if the web site does things to help protect from people download files you have to see if there are other ways like the page info, saving web page etc. Even then if you can sometimes you can in other browsers like you know or other version of a browser.

Wow I did it again in firefox by going to page info, media tab. I clicked save and the save box came up. The file type box was blank and in the name box it only said attachment but I added .mp3 to the name and saved it and it works.

I got the FireFoxMenuButtons https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2046/ and it gies you added buttons and the page info is one of them. It is the blue one you see here https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2046/previews/ on the 3rd roll with the i in it netx to the blue one with the ? mark in it. It is a good one to have to be able to see where things come from and save things.

So from what just happen try again and when the save box comes up type in a new name and save it but don't forget to type in the file ext so your need to type in .mp3 or at that site copy the whole file name like the first post has a al.mp3 file so when you save it don't name it al but name it al.mp3.
    Even if when you go to save a file and the box that says file types is blank or does not show the file type you want does not mean you can't save the file. Add the file type ext to the name will take care of things.

8. hewee

hewee

Augie65 it was just one of those sites where like lots of other where anything you save has the same name. You know like many web pages I want to save will be index.php and they don't save right so you give the file a new name and add .html to the name. Then every page at there web site you have to rename if you want to save them because they all give you the very same name.

9. In-Dent

In-Dent Thread Starter

Thanks hewee! You solved the problem. I really appreciate it.

10. Cherokee

Cherokee

You can also go to your Windows Temp folder and save the file from there.

11. hewee

hewee

Hi Cherokee, :)

Good to see yea, long time no see. :D

Well sometimes on some types of ways things play there are files in the windows\temp folder but they are of no use.
    Now sometimes things can also show up in the IE temp folder and you can go there and copy them out.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice