1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox is running error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by twscarp, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Good morning, for the last couple months I've been getting an error message "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system". I close the window, and try to select another, I hear the fan ramp up, then the error message appears. I click to close button on the error box, then I'm able to change to another window. The Task Manager shows when a window is closed the CPU goes to 100% for 10 to 15 seconds, then back down to 2% to 4%, only then can I access the new window. Tried in Firefox Safe Mode, cleared the cookies and cache, but problem still persists. Tried in Internet Explorer 7, and can zip back and forth between windows with no delay. I use Secunia, and have the latest Firefox, and other programs, does anyone have an idea whats happening?

Thanks for your time,...Tom

2. TekTime

TekTime

Are you using the most recent version of Firefox (3.6.3)?

3. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hey Tektime, yes I'm using Firefox 3.6.3

4. TekTime

TekTime

5. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hi Tektime, I just uninstalled, then installed Firefox 3.6.3, same thing, still hangs. Yes I used that link yesterday, and tried their fixes, but no luck. It's really not a big deal, just have to wait a few seconds, instead of instantaneously connecting to the next window. Thanks,...Tom

6. TekTime

TekTime

Do you clear your browser cache, cookies, temp files and saved internet files often?

7. twscarp

twscarp Thread Starter

Hi Tektime, yes I clear those items regularly. This happens with emails that have several articles (highlighted headlines, or they my be called links?). I will click on one, read it, close the window, which will take me back to the original email, then click another highlighted headline. At this point Firefox hangs (for a few, or several seconds), the fan speeds up, maybe this is normal? I open a link in Firefox, then close it, then immediately try to open it again. I'm probably asking too much from this 5 year old machine :).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!