Firefox is very slow

sette488

Hello, I’m having a problem with the graphics on my computer.
I usually use Firefox and it was loading really slow.

Like more than 30 seconds.

And after a couple of hours I’d have to restart my computer because
it would become so slow or sometimes just freeze up.

I tried using CCleaner to get rid of a lot of junk files.
Which did improve things quite a bit.

But I was wondering if I should to increase the RAM to improve things.
Or maybe get a new graphics card.

By the way, I checked if I needed any updates using Windows Update.
And it showed everything was up-to-date.

But when I used CCleaner’s Driver Updater it said that I needed to update the following:

Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset 8.15.10.2869 04.10.2012
Intel(R) 4 Series Internal Chipset 8.15.10.2869 04.10.2012
Intel(R) HD Graphics 8.15.10.2993 30.01.2013
Intel(R) HD Graphics 8.15.10.2993 30.01.2013

So I would like to find out what the best thing to do is as far
as improving my computer’s performance.

If I need a new graphics card could someone please tell me what I should buy.

Thanks

Here's the other information about my PC:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1,
64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20160229133749.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz,
Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1723 MB
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (172 GB Free); F: 1862 GB (576 GB Free);
G: 1863 GB (584 GB Free); H: 465 GB (93 GB Free); I: 931 GB (100 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0D441T, ver A01, s/n CN7360408P00EO.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 15, s/n H495NN1
Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan, Enabled and Updated

TerryNet

Terry
So I would like to find out what the best thing to do is as far
as improving my computer’s performance.
In my opinion (that's opinion, not fact) the single best thing is a clean reinstall of Windows (or a "recover to factory defaults").

Then along with getting all the Windows updates make sure you have the latest correct drivers (see below) and use the built-in firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (not McAfee or any other third party security program that runs all the time).

Firefox is my browser of choice with Windows. However, it keeps getting updated and larger and I'm not confident that it's still good for use with Windows 7. You may want to try some other browsers to see if they give you better performance.

This is my preferred order for finding drivers (the first three should be enough for your case):

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
3. Device manufacturer's web site,
4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
7. Use Windows Update.

(4 through 7 are really tied, and with Windows 7--and maybe 8/8.1-- the Windows Update should be at least 4th. The main message is that the first three are almost always to be preferred.)

sette488

In my opinion (that's opinion, not fact) the single best thing is a clean reinstall of Windows (or a "recover to factory defaults").

Then along with getting all the Windows updates make sure you have the latest correct drivers (see below) and use the built-in firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (not McAfee or any other third party security program that runs all the time).

Firefox is my browser of choice with Windows. However, it keeps getting updated and larger and I'm not confident that it's still good for use with Windows 7. You may want to try some other browsers to see if they give you better performance.

This is my preferred order for finding drivers (the first three should be enough for your case):

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
3. Device manufacturer's web site,
4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
7. Use Windows Update.

(4 through 7 are really tied, and with Windows 7--and maybe 8/8.1-- the Windows Update should be at least 4th. The main message is that the first three are almost always to be preferred.)
Okay. I'll try out your suggestions. Thanks for all your help.

Check to see which processes are utilizing CPU capacity and the network in the Task Manager. You may find answers by doing so. Some unnecessary app features to be enabled may be active in the background and using up memory. These could be ones that use the Internet or just the computer.

plodr

Liz
I'm using an old Windows 7 computer with no graphics card installed just the chip that came on the motherboard. I use Firefox daily to surf. The computer is on for 12 or more hours a day and I don't require a reboot. I also have 4GB of RAM but not all is usable because my Win 7 is 32 bits; so you have more RAM available than I do. Your CPU is also head and shoulders above the CPU in my cheap eMachine computer. (I run CCleaner about once a year - only). You should not need to reboot every couple of hours.

First - dump McAfee. That will slow you down (it probably scans when you launch Firefox.) Windows 7 runs fine with MS Security Essentials as an av and Malwarebytes to cover web protection, malware protection, ransomware protection and exploit protection.
I run both on our four Windows 7 computers.

As NaderHussain pointed out, open Task Manager and show processes from all users to see what is eating away at the CPUs. Post the top 3 processes aside from system idle.
Also what addons are installed with FF? Some of them can cause slowness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online