1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox, MS Anti, Adaware, and Spybot

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by danmax, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danmax

danmax Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am having a good time cruising around. There is so much information here. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question.

I use Firefox 1.5, WinXP Pro. I have MS AntiSpyware, Spybot and Adaware. Do I need all three of these, or is there a better spyware cleaner that works with Firefox. The only time I use IE is for Windows updates and editing my website.

Always thanks

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Ewido Security Suite- has a two week trial version that may pick up some things you didn't know you had.

So also could SpySweeper by Webroot, both of these work with Firefox, if you mean checking FF for malware...they do.

You should probably only only run one of those at a time, with what you are using now. Microsoft Antispyware also has to be temporarily turned off during scans with these programs. (As you may know, it prevents changes)

SpySweeper is similar to MS Antispyware and prevents some changes you may need to make at times, so if you install SpySweeper, you will have to turn off MS Antispyware... have only ONE of these programs active at a time.

***Here are the steps to turn off MS Antispyware program:

Open MS Anti-Spyware and click on Options > Settings. Click on "Realtime Protection" in the left pane.

Remove the check by these:

"Enable the Microsoft Security Agents on startup (recommended)"

"Enable real-time spyware threat protection (recommended)"

Click "Save"

Now right click the MS Anti-spyware icon in your system tray and choose "Shutdown Microsoft Anti-Spyware"

You should re-enable these when you are finished with SpySweeper.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    If you do install Ewido, you need good directions, so here are those:

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Install ewido.
    · During the installation, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
    · Launch ewido
    · It will prompt you to update click the OK button and it will go to the main screen
    · On the left side of the main screen click update
    · Click on Start and let it update.
    · DO NOT run a scan yet. You will do that later in safe mode.

Steps in Safe Mode to run Ewido:

Restart your computer into safe mode now. Perform the following steps in safe mode:

**How to get to Safe Mode in XP:

Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
    Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter

**Run Ewido:
    · Click on scanner
    · Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
    · During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK
    · When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
    · Save the report to your desktop
    This will take some time to run!
    Ewido saves a text file for the results, always save them!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    ***SpySweeper directions:

Get it HERE
    Click on "Download trial version"

Install the program and launch it. First get the latest detection Updates from the Internet, click the Update button.
    • click Options on the left side.
    • Click the Sweep Options tab.
    • Under What to Sweep please put a check next to the following:

Sweep Memory
      Sweep Registry
      Sweep Cookies
      Sweep All User Accounts
      Enable Direct Disk Sweeping
      Sweep Contents of Compressed Files
      Sweep for Rootkits
      Please UNCHECK Do not Sweep System Restore Folder.
    ***Here are the steps to turn off SpySweeper temporarily, remember to turn it back on.

**If you want to unload it from starting up when Windows does, open Options, uncheck "Start when Windows does" or similar box.
    Then, to shut it down, in the lower right systray, right click SpySweeper icon, and click "Shut down" and you will get the message about it not protecting the computer....OK it.

I would say this program actually is better than Microsoft's antispyware, however, SpySweeper costs either $20 or $30, depending on whether you can still get the $10 discount they have been giving> after you try out the trial version, they will email you with the discount offer, then it is only $20 for the program.
    That was the offer last week, anyway, may differ now.

If you can, purchase SpySweeper, it's top of the line.

I would uninstall Ewido after you have scanned with it and if nothing but tracking cookies is found. You can install it again if you need to (save the download and these instructions!)

Save a copy of Microsoft Antispyware, too.

If you do not want to keep either of the trial programs, uninstall them.
    The trial versions will not update for you after the two week period expires...but, they will still work but do you no good against any newer malwares that come out. You can purchase SpySweeper with the discount (I just checked and it still is available) any time during the trial period.
    Hope this helps you!

3. danmax

danmax Thread Starter

Many thanks Byteman. I will follow up with your recommendations.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi danmax, You're very welcome!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice