1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FireFox, Netscape background color anomalies

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cstallard, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cstallard

cstallard Thread Starter

I have glaucoma, and find high-contrast backgrounds -- white, in particular -- to be a strain on my eyes.

For email, I switched from Netscape to Thunderbird, because the latter allows me to control the background color of the message body (provided the message is not HTML). Helps a great deal.

For browsing, I tried overriding background color via (in FireFox 1.0) Tools > Options... > Fonts & Colors... > Always use my Colors; and a similar option in Netscape 7.1. But in either browser, though the background color does change, a lot more changes also for many, many Web sites--including this one. Buttons disappear entirely. Borders wander all over the place. Drop-down menus become transparent, so their content overlays text beneath, making the menu items very difficult to read.

Are there any other settings I can use to prevent this wholesale display trashing, or am I SOL? Some Web sites are not affected; for example, amazon.com, and even my local library's Web site, appear normal, with only the background color changed.

--C

2. keithy397

keithy397

Try tweaking the About NotBlank extension. I think this will allow you to choose your own background styles.

3. cstallard

cstallard Thread Starter

Hmmm...your link goes nowhere. And I'm not finding an "About NotBlank" extension at https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions. I have not yet tried to install any extensions.

--C

4. keithy397

keithy397

The link is for the extension at the Firefox Extension Mirror site but it is down at the moment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice