1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox not playing flash videos now pls help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dawudbryant, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawudbryant

dawudbryant Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My Firefox updated from an old version that I was using and now flash videos won't play. When I look at add ons it is saying Adobe, Silverlight and even the flash video downloaders are blocked and it seems JAVA is too. Does anyone know what I have to download to go back to an old firefox and what adobe and java versions will get my flash videos playing again?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're using
    Mozilla Firefox 52.6.0 ESR
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 28.0.0.161
    Microsoft Silverlight 5.1.50907.0

(the most current supported versions for Windows XP SP3 32-bit), your videos should play okay.

The current version of
    Oracle Java Runtime Environment
    no longer supports it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. dawudbryant

Thank you very much, I'll try to find those versions. My laptop is 64 bit though, will it still work?

Thanks again

4. dawudbryant

no its not working, when i go on some video sites the video is still not appearing and if it does, it has no play button and shows no picture

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you saying your laptop is using Windows XP SP2 64-bit and not Windows XP SP3 32-bit?

What's the brand name and model name and model number of your laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Firefox disables flash player now, you have to go into options and turn it back on called "Shockwave Flash" in add-ons or plug ins.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you have flash listed in plugins?

1. Are you running 64 bit version of XP?
    2. Are you running FF in 32 bit or 64 bit?

First it is not a great idea to take an unpatched operating system on the internet. (XP support/patches ended april 8, 2014). It is an even worse idea to use an old unpatched browser. FF ESR is the only browser that supports XP and come August, it will no longer support XP.

Look around and find a safer way to get on the internet: Windows 10, a linux distro or an android device (tablet or phone).

Also, a few years back over 90% of the malware came through Java (not to be confused with javascript) and flash. Most people started removing Java from computers. I don't think I've had it installed on any computer since 2014. I had it on an old XP computer but I removed it and I never installed it on Windows 7.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Liz:

There's been no reply back in 4 days, so any further comments or advice may be for nothing.

Just for your information, Mozilla Firefox 52.7.0 ESR is out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Thanks Frank. I guess I'll need to do some updating.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!