1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox Not Resolving localhost

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by GLSmyth, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Thread Starter

I know next to nothing about these things, so I may not be offering enough information. I have several websites that I have developed within inetpub/wwwroot on my computer. Normally, entering localhost/hmpi into Firefox displays the default page within the /hmpi folder. I have not used Chrome for this (did not work when I tried) and I never use IE.

Several weeks ago entering this information stopped working - Firefox just spins until I get a Connection Was Rest message. Oddly enough, IE works just fine. I am using Firefox 19.0 - perhaps something in this version made it stop working? Chrome still does not work.

I can use IE (hate it), but I have so many helpful Firefox extensions that I really would like to be able to use it. IE works just fine with my Classic ASP pages, but Firefox has stopped

I know pretty much nothing about servers and such, so I have no idea where to begin. Any help would very much be appreciated.

Cheers -

george

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Which web server are you using?

Will it bring up the page if you use the IP address instead?

Rollin

3. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Thread Starter

I believe that I am using IIS, as I am on a Windows 7 platform.

When I enter http://127.0.0.1/ccr the page displays. This also works in Chrome. I guess localhost is not being recognized as 127.0.0.1? That's not so bad. I would like localhost to work, but if I have to enter the address then I can live with that.

Cheers -

george

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I'm pretty sure this has to do with IPV6 protocol which I believe Firefox uses by default. Just google IPV6 + Firefox + Localhost and you should get more info. I've included a link below which may help. Not sure how it applies to Chrome.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/771916

Rollin

5. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Thread Starter

I cam e across that link when trying to figure this out and it was not helpful in my case. When adding port 8080 I get an error message pretty quickly telling me that it has no idea what I am trying to do.

Cheers -

george

6. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    I use a xampp on my Windows 7 platform (using mainly chrome but also testing in FF) and have not encountered such problems (not having to go the inetpub route - which I believe was originally designed to cater for a local business network, so may not be the ideal structure??)

7. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Thread Starter

I have used localhost and inetpub since the XP days and it has always worked for me. I use Classic ASP to help put my pages together, so xampp would not be helpful.

Cheers -

george

8. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Ok George, didn't realise you worked in ASP... Sorry of no help...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice