1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox opens multiple tabs upon start up

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pyotr, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pyotr

pyotr Thread Starter

I use version 3.5.1 When I open firefox it opens with multiple tabs.I tried to find the answer in the FF helpcentre however it's rather confusing for me. I looked at the answer for this problem "preferences not saved" and followed the steps in order to resolve the issue and have been looking to the prefs.js files in the profile folder but none exist Help indicates that those files may be duplicated or corrupted. Also the help centre indicates that if those files are corrupted the preferences are not being saved.I am sure that is the issue but I cannot resolve it.I reinstalled FF several times but the result is the same. Is here a FF user that is able to help in simple words.
    I disabled all addons but no result.
    My OS Windows Vista Home premium My Laptop:Toshiba Satellite P 200 dual core T5450 Ram 2GB processor 1,66 Ghz I use FF for many years but eversince the 3.5 version was introduced i have this problem. Thanks in advance

2. raybro

raybro

Have you tried closing all the open tabs before closing FF?

Raybro

3. rqdth1

rqdth1

Raybro already hit it. If you use multiple tabs, your FireFox browser may be continuing from the last session. If this is not the case, please tell us what the content of the tabs is.

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

the solution may be a simple oversight, you can choose a homepage as your start page OR multiple tabs as your homepage, you may just have the later selected

> tools
    > options
    > main tab
    > start up box, drop down beside "when firefox starts" has 3 options, make sure you don't have "show my windows and tabs from last time" selected. Either of the others should give you just a single page / tab when firefox starts up

5. pyotr

pyotr Thread Starter

thanks for your quick reply The page is set as show my home page which shows Google .Before I close FF all tabs are closed.Just to be sure that this could nt be the issue.If I open the second box TAB (next to the main tab I see some options also. The upper is unselected and the last is unselected.
    I have a feeling that when I am in the main Tab page and click set to default or set to use current page it is not saved,when I click ok nothing seems to happen.

6. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Try opening it in the Firefox "safe mode" and see if the issue persists. If it opens normally without all the tabs, then it could be either a conflict with an add-on or a corrupted profile.

7. pyotr

pyotr Thread Starter

Hi laura Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you mean or how to start FF in the FF safe mode. What I did is run windows in the safe mode but than the FF page cannot be openend as there is no internet connection. That might not be what you ment I guess. I also disabled all addons however that does not make any difference. How can a profile be corrupted? I just reinstalled Windows Vista completely and reinstalled FF.
    There is no user.js file to edit This is suggested in the help option of FF
    Hopefully we will find the solution.

8. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Firefox safe mode can be accessed by going to start > all programs > Firefox > safe mode. This will run it in it's most basic form.

If you still have the problem in the safe mode, post back and we'll describe how to create a new profile in firefox to try.

9. pyotr

pyotr Thread Starter

I ran FF in the safe mode and this shows to be fine. Does this mean that in my situation I only can run FF in its basic mode to avoid this problem?

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

No. It means you have to disable all of your add-ons and start re-enabling them one at a time and testing to find out which one is the culprit.

11. pyotr

pyotr Thread Starter

That is what i did already in the first place but none of my addons seem to conflict with FF

12. papasquee

papasquee

I found out multiple tabs are caused by command-line URLs with pipes ( | ). I had the same problem after updating Firefox and a few add-ins....the "you have updated" websites kept returning as multiple tabs.(Or multiple windows when multiple tabs were deactivated). I eliminated the Mozilla folders in all of my users' applications folders (example: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla ) Note: you must have "show hidden files" checked in your tools\folder options\ view to see these folders. This eliminates all add-ins, so you have to re install add-ins....but it eliminates the problem of multiple folders appearing on FF startup.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/847214