1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox or Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Drumstik, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drumstik

Drumstik Thread Starter

I am reading and hearing alot lately about firefox, in the opinions of the experts, is it really that much better than ie?

Would I be better off just uninstalling ie and only using firefox?

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Leave IE alone and get either Mozilla or Firefox

You will need IE for some sites

3. Cadet

Cadet

Firefox is allot more secure ( at the moment ) than IE.

All the bugs and trojans etc that effect internet explorer do not effect Firefox. So using firefox is alot safer way to browse the internet.

But the only reason for this is that 89% of people use Internet explorer so... 99% of people who write bug's/exploits write them for internet explorer. but this also means that the more people who start using Firefox the more bug's/exploits will be written for firefox.

There are also many other good internet browsers out there i.e Opera, Safari and Avant . just to name a few.

Hope this clears things up a little for you

Cadet

4. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

I have been using Firefox for a long time, and really like it. Especially the tabbed browsing. Leave IE alone, it can't be uninstalled anyway; and download and install Firefox v1.0. Give it a try, and if you don't like it, it's easy to uninstall.

5. jargonize

jargonize

but if you want a featured browser, instead of firefox use mozilla 1.7 part of the reason firefox is faster is that it's a cut down version of mozilla. loads faster. try crazy browser if ya want a good ie clone.

6. Telstar

Telstar

As stated, DO NOT, under any circumstances (attempt to) remove your Internet Explorer.

Yes, Firefox is faster and more secure than IE, plus... nothing beats tabbrowsing.

Oh, and btw Drumstik, when did you last check your Windows Update? ;)

Telstar :)

7. bobol

bobol

Internet temp files are drastically reduced while browsing online with Firefox ... I can't say technically what the defaults/settings for such things are on both browsers but since using Firefox, it's been a huge difference I notice when I'm cleaning out temp files as total amounts shown on my TuneUp Utilities program - as in 80% reduction at least!
    You'll need your IE to pick up your Windows updates.
    [however, there's this curiously, http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic14532.html and http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t269133.html ]

8. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

The popularity of alternative web browser Firefox continues to rise at the expense of Microsoft's Internet Explorer, according to a new study

Mozilla, an open-source software foundation formed by Netscape, launched Firefox 1.0 in November, after recording more than eight million downloads of its test version. As downloads continued to surge, measurement firms such as WebSideStory and Dutch market researcher OneStat.com began releasing data tracking Firefox gains and IE declines. In December, OneStat reported that IE's market share had slipped to 88.9 per cent, a figure Microsoft disputed.

Even though Microsoft maintains the dominance it has enjoyed since defeating Netscape Communications' browser in the mid-1990s, Firefox's snowballing popularity is raising eyebrows.

Much of Firefox's success rides on it simply not being IE. Firefox fans have praised the new browser's automatic pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing features, but security has been one of the big points. Viruses and spyware are often aimed at IE because of its near-total market dominance.
    Since beginning its measurements last summer, WebSideStory has been cautious to draw any broad conclusions about Firefox's popularity. This time around, the company said many people are not only downloading Firefox, they're sticking with it and using it
    Geoff Johnston, an analyst at WebSideStory, said: "We are finding that in many cases there's room for two browsers on the desktop, and in other cases people are completely switched over."

A Microsoft spokesman did not immediately comment for this story

9. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

If you think Firefox is fast now, read my post on how to supercharge Firefox.
    Heres a little trick of how to turn on the Autocomplete in Firefox.
    To turn on inline autocomplete in the Firefox web browser...

1. Enter about:config in the URL field
    2. Right-click on the page and create a new Boolean value
    3. Enter browser.urlbar.autoFill as the preference name (note, case-sensitive: 'F', not 'f')
    4. Set the value to true

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice