1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firefox problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by soniq, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soniq

soniq Thread Starter

ok, everything was alright untill i opened my firefox and i saw all the extentions and ad ons were gone!!

and if that wasnt enough half of my boomakrs were missing!!!

and if that wasnt enough i went to the movies and came back and i saw ALL the bookmarks are missing!!!

HOLY S***

HELP!!

THANK U

2. Augie65

Augie65

You may just be running under a different profile. Here is a guide to
    troubleshoot lost bookmarks and settings under a different profile.

3. gophersnake

gophersnake

About a year ago, soon after first switching to Firefox, I was making some major rearrangements to my bookmarks and discovered I'd lost most of the file. I immediately created a "Back Up Bookmarks" routine, a DOS batch file that first copies "bookmarks backup 1" to "bookmarks backup 2", then copies the current bookmarks to "bookmarks backup 1". I figured at the time that if I were ever to space out and copy a trashed bookmarks file to backup 1, I'd still have a chance to retrieve the last good file from backup 2.

Of course I haven't lost a bookmark since.

4. hewee

hewee

Best to backup your profile so you have bookmarks, cookies, cookiesperm, passwords, extensions and what ever other things like setting etc you have.

5. gophersnake

gophersnake

Best to backup your profile so you have bookmarks, cookies, cookiesperm, passwords, extensions...

I backup my bookmarks after every session, the rest of my profiles (both Firefox and Thunderbird) about once a week. The initial backups go to a Compact Flash drive. When that gets full enough I burn its entire contents (a couple of months' worth of backups) to a CD, empty the CF drive down to bare subdirectories, and start a fresh round of backups.

6. hewee

hewee

That is good to hear gophersnake. You got a good system in backing things up.

I have used Netscape starting with version 2 till version 7 and I found out even in 7.1 things that always worked one way changed.
    Like looking at you cookie manager and deleting and cookie if you did not click the OK then you really did not delete it. You had to click remove and then ok to delete any cookie. But after 7.1 it changed and Firefox is the same way once you click remove it is gone. Was it was the other way so if you goofed you just start over.
    So backups are need to get things back.

Wish that FF had the option netscape had where you could go to tool and block or unblock a site.
    I like to block as much as I can but then with FF if your at a site and then can't do something because they want to use a cookie you have to open the cookie manager and look tru the big long list and delete the cookie for the site and refresh the page and then give it a ok. I mean what a pain in the rear.

7. soniq

soniq Thread Starter

what about the adblock add on thats not working? what should i do?

8. hewee

hewee

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice