Firefox removed the bookmark after deleteing AppData folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darkshadow10

Accidentally i removed the AppData files + some other files which i thought are useless [from hidden files]then when i started firefox all my bookmarks were gone + addone + theme . Please help me I bookmarked over 300 websites and i really need them . thanks

dustyjay

Jay
Try doing a System Restore to a date before you did the file deletions

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
I would say dusty's suggestion is your only hope! The Appdata folder/files, are singiularly probably the most important user files in the OS. You have irretrievable damge to your OS.

Just a thought. If you have another computer around I assume that you accessed many of the same websites from that machine; thus you can backup those bookmarks and reinstall to FireFox. You may even have many of the bookmarks on another browser, same machine.

If you do get your files back with Recuva, I would suggest that you take a look at Xmarks for keeping a record of your bookmarks in future.Good luck!!

http://www.xmarks.com/

darkshadow10

Just a thought. If you have another computer around I assume that you accessed many of the same websites from that machine; thus you can backup those bookmarks and reinstall to FireFox. You may even have many of the bookmarks on another browser, same machine.
I checked IE 8 , none of the firefox bookmarks were there

darkshadow10

I installed Recuva but what files should i recover ?
there is no exact AppData file which i deleted

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Maybe lesson's learned here. When Microsoft started hiding these "System files and folders" they were done for a real good reason. They did NOT want us users messing with them unless we knew what we were doing.

But then, there are some of us who "know" more about Windows than Microsoft does, so they go in and make all kinds of changes to these files and folders and the things just do not work like they did in the past. Now it is a Microsoft problem. I am very careful about deleting any "hidden" file, except for the internet temp files.

I installed Recuva but what files should i recover ?
there is no exact AppData file which i deleted
The firefox bookmarks file has a .json extension so it is something like bookmarks.json if I recall right(Using Chrome atm)

So search for bookmarks in Recuva.

TerryNet

Terry
The current bookmarks file (Firefox 3) is places.sqlite. The backups are .json files as described above. My most recent one, which indicates structure of the names, is bookmarks-2010-03-28.json.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online