Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox Removes Option to Manage Cookies (Ask Me Every Time)

3K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how many people are not aware of this. Now I'm sure not many use that option as they get annoyed with the popups asking if you want to accept cookies but I really liked that feature and it's what I used to effectively manage my cookies. I didn't get that many popups because once you block a cookie you also have the option to remember that choice so you don't get a popup for it again.

Apparently this was removed when version 44 was released in December 2015. I only discovered it when I checked my stored cookies and gee willickers, I saw a long list of cookies I never would have accepted. So of course I check my Privacy settings and I see there's no longer an option to "Ask me Every Time". It just disappeared. :(

I was thinking of going back to version 43 but of course there have been security issues that have been fixed since then so that would be risky.

I looked at the available add-ons and didn't see one that would ask me, only ones that will delete them after they are already accepted but I may have missed something. So I'm asking if anyone knows of an add-on or third party software that would ask if you want to accept the cookies and give you the option to say yes or no and to remember your choice so you don't keep getting the same popups over and over again for the same sites?

I was also considering changing to the PaleMoon browser because it still has that option but you can't use NoScript with it so it wouldn't be as secure.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I use palemoon as my default browsers.
I do have FF 38.7 ESR installed as a backup.
On both browsers I use a very old addon called CookieCuller to manage my cookies.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookieculler/
It hasn't been updated since 2009, I see, but it does the job.

I have an icon on my taskbar so I can look at and remove any cookie at any time.
I have it set that it removes all unprotected cookies when I start my browser.
I know it works because my gmail account forgets who I am. (I never like google to track me around the internet).

I have noscript working in Palemoon.

Here is the starting place for addons
https://addons.palemoon.org/resources/incompatible/

I can't find noscript listed as being a problem.

#3 ·
Thanks Liz. Derek told me that NoScript will indeed work with Palemoon and I'm glad you say it works for you as well so I'll likely go to that browser.

I don't use many add-ons so as long as NoScript and Adblock Plus (which I understand is called Adblock Latitude) then I'll be a happy camper.

I don't like the fact that they just did this without any warning and changed my settings to accepting all cookies, which I never do. I was beginning to wonder why I wasn't getting any prompts lately. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Yes download NoScript for Pale Moon,

You be better of controlling your cookies using the Exceptions Rule.
You leave uncheck...Accept cookies from sites
Accept third-party cookies:
and pick Never.

Now all cookies are blocked by default and will not get added to the block list.
Exceptions Rule you add the sites and give the rights you want. Once you learn this you will only need to block a handful of sites.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/settings-privacy-browsing-history-do-not-track

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-websites-storing-site-preferences

Get CookieSafe.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-websites-storing-site-preferences

Also CookieSafe 3.1.1 does not work right with Pale Moon but older version 3.1a5 does work.
Use of the temp cookies I use a lot if I have to allow cookie to get site to work.

CookieSafe has not been updated in a long time but it still works with Pale Moon.

Then get CookieCuller too so you can protect sites you want to keep cookies and then delete all unprotect cookies before going to another site to stop tracking.

CS Lite Mod 1.4.9.1-signed will work with Firefox and Pale moon
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cslite-mod/

Seems to be the same but but things are missing but what you need is still there.

If you already have NoScript installed and even sites rights etc then export it and import it to Pale Moon and your get things back the same faster.

Older CookieSafe version 3.1a5 lets you import and export. So I like it better.
I can upload version 3.1a5 if you like to have it.

#6 ·
You be better of controlling your cookies using the Exceptions Rule.
You leave uncheck...Accept cookies from sites
Accept third-party cookies:
and pick Never.

Now all cookies are blocked by default and will not get added to the block list.
Exceptions Rule you add the sites and give the rights you want. Once you learn this you will only need to block a handful of sites.
Yes, I'm familiar with those settings and use them as well.

I've got Pale Moon installed and NoScript as well and all is set up.

The only thing I'd like to get rid of is that Pale Moon globe icon on the top left side which doesn't seem to serve any purpose as restore down, maximum and close are already available on the right side. I remember removing this in Firefox but haven't found how I did it yet.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I actually switched on two computers from AdBlock latitude to uBlockOrigin.
I can't decide which one I prefer. :ROFLMAO:

I would not consider any browser that I can't use noscript and some sort of ad blocker.

On my Android tablet, the default browser is Chrome. I'm not a fan of chrome so when Palemoon made an Android browser, I installed it. Even better, AdBlockPlus makes an Android browser so I installed that too.

#13 ·
Thanks Liz. I never knew Pale Moon was basically the same as Firefox. I don't like change so I wouldn't want to switch to a browser that was very different unless I had no choice.

I haven't installed AdBlock yet. I might not because I found that it sometimes caused problems with pages loading slowly. I don't mind seeing the ads as long as I don't get their cookies. But I might change my mind if I get too annoyed. :D

#14 ·
I like things that stay the same so the theme helps.

Now for AdBlock Plus or AdBlock Latitude you can get also Element Hiding Helper.
https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper

Just check the Preview box. Your see it in the AdBlock and the AdBlock Filter Preferences too.

Your need to get used to how to hide things because some sites with all the frames or iframes you need to watch that you do not take more then you want to away. Reason to check the Preview box.

But I got it so sites like Gmail and Hotmail that the login page I see only login box and nothing else.

Then use at other sites that have junk or ads you can not block because they come from the site your at. But you can hide them.

#17 ·
I'm on Windows 8.1 so maybe that makes a difference.

I would have a few browser windows open and it mainly occurs with the weather site that I use. They have a lot of images, animations and stuff trying to load and the page takes a long time to load and sometimes doesn't render completely. That would actually happen in FF sometimes too. But in Pale Moom I get a screen that says Pale Moon has stopped working and asking if you'd like to close it (or something to that effect).

#20 ·
Sorry to hear that. I know in the pass at times I seem to have a bug like you have and then later it stops after a newer version and or add-on update.

Better get another bloodhound dog then sniff out all those tracking you now. :sneaky:

#21 ·
I may be looking for a new browser. When I asked about noscript (which had a new version yesterday,2.9.0.10 and another today, 2.9.0.11) someone pointed me to a thread that said Palemoon will not be supported.

Then another thread that said noscript is a vulnerability in Firefox.
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-firefox-add-ons-open-millions-to-new-attack/

So people have said uBlock (not uBlockOrigin) can be programmed to work like noscript.

Looks like I will be trying to learn how to do this on one of my computers and if I can figure it out, educate my husband with a different browser and a different addon.

I'm not happy about this.

#23 ·
just no way to be safe on the Internet.
It sure looks like it.

I found out uBlock is no longer being developed and after going crazy reading uBlock articles, which are really uBlockOrigin (grrrr) and banging my head on the desk a few times because I couldn't get clicks to work at spots where I was told to click, this morning I discovered what I had to enable. Of course no one mentioned checking/ticking an option in the dashboard that says for Advanced users only. I didn't consider myself an advanced user when I installed it the first time so I never changed the default setting.

Now I suspect uBlockOrigin might no longer work on Palemoon since they moved away from Firefox's gecko engine and are using something called goanna.

Needless to say, at this point in time my head hurts from trying to figure out what in the world I am supposed to use.

I did do one thing correct today - updated flash on the 4 Windows 7 computers for IE and non-IE browsers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.