1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox Tabs vs old Netscape users

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tramaco, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tramaco

tramaco Thread Starter

I used Netscape for 12 years and am very glad I switched to Firefox. Does ANYONE know how to set up Firefox to operate the same as the old Netscape as far as tabs and new windows are concerned? I've tried everything in Firefox TOOLS. For example, I might have linked to 20 different pages during a session, but cannot easily find a particular one by any method I know of. I am constantly looking for web pages that I want to view again. In Netscape, there was never a problem. It seems I have to use the Back Button in order to find a particular page -- very time consuming and cumbersome, as well as annoying!:mad:

2. lister

lister

How does netscape use tabs & windows that is different?

3. tramaco

tramaco Thread Starter

I had to open Netscape (reluctantly) in order to succinctly explain to you the difference.

In Netscape, if you are viewing a particular web page, and decide to open another page (from an icon in the toolbar for example), it opens a tab to the right of the tab that represents the page you were just on. If you continue to open web pages, they would all become tabs in the current browser window.

In Firefox, each page is "lost" behind the "Back" arrow. The rest of my previous post explains this further. I could have missed a checkmark sequence which will solve my problem, but I think I tried a combination of all of them unsuccessfully.

4. lister

lister

You want to open links in new tabs in the main window? And you've looked at the settings for Tools - Options - Tabs?

Generally I just middle click on links I want to open in a new tab.

5. tramaco

tramaco Thread Starter

Lister --

I looked high and low, up and down and behind the computer and inside the computer, and nowhere did I find a "middle click". This must be some kind of esoteric, perhaps even arcane clicking device about which I am unfamiliar.

However, on the outside chance that it might be Control + Click, I found what might be called a "middle click" and it worked.

Thanks, Lister, for leading me to the solution! :)

6. Augie65

Augie65

If you have a wheel mouse, place the cursor over a link and then push down on the wheel for a middle click.

7. vandy013

vandy013

By middle click he means clicking the wheel.

8. lister

lister

Yes, sorry, middle-click is the middle mouse button/wheel.

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

How about this:

Attached Files:

10. tramaco

tramaco Thread Starter

I reprogrammed my wheel/middle button.

Thanks.

Finally, the solution!! What a niusance. I got so accustomed to Netscape operation, that when I transferred to Firefox, which I was very happy to do, I just didn't get into any new habits. Now I have a way of doing what I want.

Thanks, again, guys.

11. tramaco

tramaco Thread Starter

Thanks for the screenshot.

John

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice