1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FireFox toolbar mysteries

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cstallard, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cstallard

cstallard Thread Starter

FireFox 1.0 seems to be incomplete WRT toolbar behavior and customization.

(1) I cannot find a way to influence the content of the Bookmarks toolbar, other than add separators and other nonessentials. When I installed FireFox, the Bookmarks toolbar came up with History and Mail icons, and exactly four bookmarks--one of them ancient history, from back in my Netscape 4.x days! I want the dadratted toolbar to show the bookmarks from my Personal Toolbar Folder, in the order those bookmarks appear there, just the way Netscape 7.1 does.

(2) I tried to add a new toolbar, thinking perhaps I could populate that with the proper bookmarks. But as soon as I name the new toolbar and close the dialog, the new toolbar disappears, never to be seen again; though named, it is not even listed on the Toolbar menu.

Any suggestions?

--C

2. keithy397

keithy397

1/. Have you got your main bookmark folder at the top of the pile in the sidebar? When I say main, I mean the original (and only folder) at installation and before you import any. That bookmark folder is the parent to the rest. Then the descending order of b/m folders in the sidebar should translate horizontally left to right in the b/m toolbar.

2/. When adding a new toolbar it is advisable to do it while you are using the Firefox default theme. Some of the themes, for some unknown reason will not display the new toolbar, but the default theme definitely does.

Hope this helps.

3. cstallard

cstallard Thread Starter

Thank you for responding, Keith.

(1) Yes, bookmarks are at top of pile in Firefox sidebar. But I just discovered the magic answer! If I go to Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > Edit, there is an option I can check: "Set as Bookmarks Toolbar Folder". I check that, and all is well; the first folder under Bookmarks in the sidebar populates the Bookmarks toolbar. Whew.

(2) I haven't changed the Firefox theme, so it must be the default; therefore, I don't know why my added toolbar would not persist. But I no longer care, now that I have some control over what appears in the Bookmarks toolbar.

--C

4. cstallard

cstallard Thread Starter

Bah, humbug. Checking "Set as Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" causes all links clicked in the toolbar to open IN THE SIDEBAR instead of in the main window!?! Furthermore, that setting is now disabled, so I cannot UNcheck it! I suppose I'll have to uninstall and reinstall Firefox to get rid of this "feature"...and I cannot imagine what the developers were thinking...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice