1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox went lame

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by verbalista, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verbalista

verbalista Thread Starter

Two new updates came in for Firefox, I took them and now am running 5.5.06. Well, running is a pretty strong term, since it's dragging, and my security program keeps informing me of outgoing attempts with no program listed as the culprit. I don't know what to do about this, so I've been using IE temporarily, which is NOT my choice. Can any of you experts give me a possible solution?
    It's definitely the new version of Firefox that's the problem, as I can surf all day (albeit among the sharks) with IE.
    I'm on WinXP, so could do a system restore to before the updates, but I'd lose a few things and would rather try some less drastic repair. Thanks so much for your help! Shoshana

2. Augie65

Augie65

You might try running Firefox in safe mode.
    Start> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode).
    This runs Firefox without any extensions and the default theme. You might
    have an extension that doesn't work well with the new update. If Firefox runs ok, then it is an extension that is effecting Firefox.

If you are still having problems, you might need to make a clean install of Firefox. You can follow the instructions here.

3. verbalista

Wow, thanks, I'll try that! Oh, I hope I don't need to do a clean install, it's such a pain loading in all the extensions each time.
    I hate to admit that the security and more elegant surfing I get from Firefox is becoming less attractive...Internet Explorer may be a cloddy, hacker-inviting browser, but at least I didn't have to keep reinstalling it all the time.
    Appreciatively, Shoshana

4. Shamou

Shamou

Augie65... just curious... how can you tell which version of Firefox you have installed on your PC...

5. lisak2

lisak2

Random Junior Member attempting to answer questions :) - I believe if you go to "Help" and then to "About Mozilla Firefox" it tells you what version you have.

6. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Yah, what Lisa said :)
    http://media.pixpond.com/1au97i.jpg

7. Shamou

Shamou

...thank you... right on!!! (y)

[​IMG]

8. Shamou

Shamou

9. verbalista

Ummm, your question about what version of Firefox is on my pc showed up in my inbox, so maybe it was for me. I'm running Firefox/1.5.0.6

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice