Firefox wont connect to any site

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gemjuggler

Hello there,

I have downloaded and installed Firefox web browser. From the very first launch it gives me an error message as follows:

" start.mozilla.org could not be found. Please check the name and try again. "

Subsequently, any other URL I try results in the same error (with the site address in place of start.mozilla.org above).

I am connected online ok.
Am easily connecting to the same sites I am trying using Netscape and IE.
Never had this sort of problem before.

Have tried typing the IP address of sites directly into URL box and get:

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact {ip address here}"

Am using Firefox version 1.0.4 (latest version)
Am running OS Win XP sp2 (and have been for ages).

Am lost, frustrated and could do with any ideas anyone may have!!
Have searched the web and Firefox forums but had no joy.

If I can give any more info just let me know.

Many Thanks,
gemjuggler

gemjuggler

No - the Work Offline option under the File menu is not set. Did set and unset it just to be sure - but to no avail... thanks for the suggestion though!

Still unable to connect to any page... :(

Are you using a firewall and if so, have you granted 'access' to Firefox?

gemjuggler

I have the normal Windows Firewall - but turned it off months ago as it conflicted with my antivirus software... I am running Norton Antivirus though and now you remind me upon first launch of Firefox (have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox twice and restarted machine) I remember getting a Antivirus message warning me something vagely like:

Mozilla is trying to connect to a DNS server through a known channel ... blah something about trojan virus detection

... and I would just have let it do its default thing (probably block it) and clicked the window shut. Aha.. should have paid more attention to that!

Sorry if that isn't much help - but it is almost like _something_ is actively blocking the Firefox application from using or detecting the online connection - its as if Firefox cannot detect the machine is online.

Cheers, gemjuggler

gemjuggler

Thanks a lot everyone - have got it working fine now!

Sorry - forgot I had Norton Internet Security with Internet firewall settings - I went into the personal firewall settings and configured the prorams list to permit Firefox to access the web.

Feeling daft now - but hey you learn a new thing every day!

Thanks again, Gemma a.k.a gemjuggler

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online