1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firefox Won't Work - Linked to IE8 and Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cameron_dehart, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cameron_dehart

cameron_dehart Thread Starter

I am using a Toshiba laptop (bought it for Christmas 2008), with Windows Vista Service Pack 2. Living in dorm at Ohio State, first noticed problem trying to connect through university wireless. Problem also occurs at home, on linksys.
    ------
    I got back to OSU on Sunday from Spring Break, and I couldn't connect to the internet. I use Firefox, never had any problems, but it wouldn't connect. My laptop would connect to the network, but the internet wouldn't connect. I took it to the IT folks here, and they did a system restore to a few days back and then used Internet Explorer to bring up the internet. The internet finally connected, unlike before, and everything was fine and dandy. Problem solved....

Until i got back to my dorm and i tried to use Firefox again and it still wouldn't work. The internet would connect through IE, but the Firefox browser wouldn't connect. (I get the error message below) I successfully downloaded Opera but it gave me the same message as Firefox. I tried to download Chrome, and my computer wouldn't even let me start the download. So.....I've been stuck using boring ole Internet Explorer.

[Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at yahoo.com
    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.]

I made the observation that my version of IE was outdated (Got the computer for Christmas 2008, and I still had Internet Explorer 7), so I downloaded the most recent version (8). And wouldn't you know it, now the newest Internet Explorer won't work! My computer can connect to the network, but no up-to-date browser will let me connect to the internet!

I have removed and re-added all of my wireless networks. I have tried to take down my firewall, but that didn't work. (Firewall is back up now.) I uninstalled Firefox, and re-installed it, removed add-ons and personal information, and it still didn't work. I have run scans with Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, Avast, and Malwarebytes, with no report of malicious files.

I have noticed that if I allow Windows to install updates, this problem occurs. I have to restore my system back a few days every time it installs an update (I have since made all installations manual until this is fixed.)

Proxy server is disabled on both Firefox and IE.

I hope you can help me with this problem. I am talking to people in other message boards and my comlaint is climbing its way through the ranks of the Ohio State IT department. Hopefully someone here can be of some assistance. If you need any more information, ask.

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

have you checked the program settings, make sure it is set to automaticly detect connection settings, also seriously think about win7, looks like vista but is smoother and has less issues.

if you do a system restore again and switch your updates to manual selection so maby you can identify the specific update that is causing the problem

hope this helps

3. cameron_dehart

I've never had trouble with Vista before. And getting Windows 7 doesn't really fix my problem....it just ignores it.

How do I check program settings?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds to me mostly like a non-Windows firewall or security suite (or even another security application) issue. Could be one that's misconfigured, corrupted, or was uninstalled but pieces are still lurking. What non-Windows security applications do, or did, you have on the machine?

5. cameron_dehart

I have used Avast, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, and Norton 360 (which expired and I tried to uninstall everything a few days before this problem started.)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You'd be amazed at how many issues like this are solved by Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. :) I hope I can add you to the success list.

7. cybersloth

cybersloth

I think TerryNet has found your problem but just so you know to get to the program settings for both firefox and IE you go Tools > Options...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice