1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall / Anti-Spyware / DRWTSN32.EXE

Discussion in 'General Security' started by TechDoc, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechDoc

TechDoc Thread Starter

I am running Win XP Professional, Service Pack 2 on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop.

1. Each time I boot the system, an error is detected with my Sygate Firewall: "Sygate Agent Firewall encountered a problem and needed to close. Please tell Microsoft about this problem... Send Error Report / Don't Send." I click on Don't Send.

2. Then my anti-spyware software, Spybot - Search & Destroy, pops up: "Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected an impotant registry entry that has been changed.
    Category: System Startup global entry
    Change: UserFaultCheck
    Old Data: %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
    Allow change / Deny change"

3. I notice the disk light on the front of the laptop is flickering unexpectedly, since there are no applications running. On opening Windows Task Manager, and clicking on the Process tab, I notice that most of the CPU (58-76%) is being used by Image Name DRWTSN32.EXE, and the Mem Usage is currently 132,756K.

I have run AVG Antivirus, Spybot - Search & Destroy, and TuneUp Utility 2007 to clean the disk, clean the registry, and defragment the registry. I have uninstalled my Sygate firewall, rebooted and reinstalled Sygate Firewall. However, I still get the problems described above.

I believe I have found a possible solution by running tests and DRWTSN32.EXE virus removal options described at http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/drwtsn32/. However, I am reluctant to do so without my secondary Sygate Firewall in operation (The primary firewall being Microsoft Firewall.) Also my Wireless LAN USB Adaptor ceased to be recognised at the same time this problem manifested itself. (I have not yet attempted to reinstall the driver.)

So, I suppose my questions are:
    1. Why is there a problem with my firewall?
    2. What is the UserFaultCheck that Spybot detects?
    3. Why is Dr Watson being so active?
    4. Are these symptoms related?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

2. TechDoc

TechDoc Thread Starter

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hello :)

From the manner in which you wrote your intro post....are you running two software firewalls at the same time?

4. TechDoc

TechDoc Thread Starter

Yes, I am running two firewalls.

It seems the Windows Firewall is adequate for not letting stuff in, but is hopeless when it comes to letting applications / viruses etc. from accessing the Internet and letting your stuff out.

So I have it on good authority that a secondary firewall is recommended.

BYW, I am intrigued to know what message you intended that required moderating "
    ( edited:........... for lack of insensitivity)"

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

It might also be an issue of possible conflicts.
    Myself, I turned off the Windows Firewall and run Kerio along with a firewall router.

That's no moderator's edit....that's my signature :D_:D

6. TechDoc

TechDoc Thread Starter

I have just read some of your previous posts and quickly realised that I had misinterpreted your signature.

Sorry for casting dispersions, I guess I have shown my naivety as a newbie!

I have not been brave enough to turn the Microsoft Windows Firewall off. I feel that it might be offering some little extra protection. A bit like "belt and braces".

If the Sygate and Windows Firewalls can run concurrently without conflict, as they are now once again, then I see no reason to turn off the Windows Firewall.

Unless of course you offer me different advice.

7. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Here's an expert giving advice at a Microsoft web page.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_introtosp2.mspx

excerpt>

I have had several comments on that signature :D

no problem :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice