1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall blocking downloads?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by btvs, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. btvs

btvs Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new hwre and I was wondering is somebody could help me...

I'm unable to download anything from any site, specially if they are big files.
    Every time, the download process begins but then it stops and just stays there.

I have Windows XP Service Pack 2. I normally use Firefox, but I have this problem with IE too. I've re-installed Firefox 3 (I thought maybe it could help) but nothing happened and then I changed to Firefox 2... but still doesn't work.

I've tried to download iTunes from Apple's website and it was a nightmare because it stopped every two minutes and I had to pause it and re-start it... it finally worked but I don't have that luck with all files, most of them don't work unless I disable Firewall.

I've also tried 3 different downloader managers.
    One og them worked with 400 MB file but it took more than 3 hours, literally.

A few days ago, I disable the Firewall while I tried to download a file and it worked (it took a long time) but I don't want to keep my firewall on and off and on again every time I want to download something. Besides this was so sudden because everything was working fine until last week.

So, I wonder... can it be a virus? (it sounds stupid, I know. Although I've scanned my computer and it didn't find anything)
    should I format my computer and re-install Windows? I really don't want to and I don't know if it's going to work, considering that this was sudden and I don't know what is causing it.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks for helping me!

2. Darkst4r

Darkst4r It's My Birthday!

3. btvs

btvs Thread Starter

Thank you!

I've tried a few of those options before. But the problem is also with IE; it happens in both browsers.
    I think that the Firewall is not working properly or something, because this was very sudden.

4. Darkst4r

What firewall are you using ? Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing it.
    I just use Avast anti virus and the regular windows firewall and ive never had any problems with viruses etc.
    Failing that , you could try a system restore from a date when all was working ok.

5. btvs

btvs Thread Starter

I'm using Windows Firewall and AVG Free, I've scanned my computer and it didn't found anything.

I restored my system yesterday, but it only went back to a date near the date that this started happening.

6. Darkst4r

Have you tried resetting your firewall to the default settings ?

To do this:
    Double click "my computer">"control panel">"windows firewall">"advanced"

under "default settings" click "restore defaults"

See if that works

7. btvs

btvs Thread Starter

Okay, I've done it... now I have to see if it worked!

8. btvs

btvs Thread Starter

Nope. It "froze" again.

9. Darkst4r

Bummer , I would suggest installing windows sp3 from here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

Youll probably have to disable your firewall to do this.
    Make sure all your windows components are up to date too by checking for updates.Then try un-installing and re-installing both browsers if that doesnt work , deleting any entries relating to them in program files.

It could possibly be a virus , you could uninstall AVG and install Avast! free edition instead , its a much better program in my eyes.
    If you dont want to do that I suggest turning system restore off , then scan again using AVG.

Let me know how you get on.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

You say it was working up till last week, try a System Restore.

11. Darkst4r

I already suggested that a few posts up but he doesnt have a restore point that goes back far enough.

12. btvs

btvs Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your help.
    I finally gave up and I've formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windowns and it's seems to work now.

Thanks!!

13. btvs

btvs Thread Starter

BTW, I'm a she... ;)

14. Darkst4r

Cool , glad you got it sorted.

15. Darkst4r

OOF ! I do apologise :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice